New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Used Macbook Pro or New Mac Mini?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

askclifford

askclifford is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMac 21.5'' 3.06ghz, Mac Pro 2.66ghzx4, Powermac G4 1.25ghz, IMac 17'' 1.8ghz

I have Final Cut Studio 2. I want to either buy a mac mini 4gig ram with 2.53 ghz or used macbook pro. i use all final cut apps except color. with the mac mini can i...

-Render 1080i HDV fairly fast
-Play Back 1080i in real time
-Do Everything in Real Time
-Use Motion

-Is the Mac Mini Insides similar to the 13'' Macbook Pro?
-Will I enjoy editing on the new mac mini?
QUOTE Thanks
darkmelody

darkmelody is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 1.25Ghz G4 1gb RAM, Mac Pro G5 Dual 1.8GHz 4GB RAM, MacBook Air 1.6 GHz Core2 Duo 2GB RAM

At the risk of stating the obvious; we don't know which 13" mbp you are referring to.

AFAIK more RAM + more gHz = better performance for video.
QUOTE Thanks
askclifford

askclifford is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMac 21.5'' 3.06ghz, Mac Pro 2.66ghzx4, Powermac G4 1.25ghz, IMac 17'' 1.8ghz

The slower one. the cheap one
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Do you need mobility?

Get the MacBook Pro if you need mobility...get the Mac Mini if you don't need the computer to be portable/mobile.

Mobility/portability is what laptop computers are for.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2012 Non-retina MBP, 2.6GHz i7, 8GB RAM, Antiglare Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by askclifford View Post
I have Final Cut Studio 2. I want to either buy a mac mini 4gig ram with 2.53 ghz or used macbook pro. i use all final cut apps except color. with the mac mini can i...

-Use Motion

to your questions -

Rendering "fast" will require RAM and CPU power. I assume you're referring to conversion or export

Play back 1080i in real time - will require additional hard drives connected to your system via firewire (as that's the fastest connection option avail on those two comps) - even so, the playback windows are small and should play back without any issues (I edit 1080i footage stored in ProRES 4:2:2, and I have no problem playing the video back in FCP).

Do everything in real time - Not even a hoss Mac Pro can do *everything* in real time (I have an 8 core 2.8GHz Mac Pro w/ 8g ram and although the vast majority of what I use is real time, there are some transitions and such that do require rendering). Certain effects and transitions and audio will require rendering, but it's easy to identify what will require rendering as for effects and transitions the ones that will run in real time are in bold, the rest are regular text. If you plunk certain audio on the timeline - ie: mp3 - it will need to convert the audio before it can be used and played back on the timeline in real time.

Both systems could use Motion.

Certain aspects of the innards of a Mac mini and a MBP 13" are similar, but the mini can have a faster CPU (2.66GHz vs 2.53GHz in MBP 13"), but less RAM (Mini max at 4g, MBP 13" max at 8g) - so it's a bit of a tough decision. If it were me, I'd probably go with more max RAM as with video, you'd probably see more effect with 2x ram vs 130MHz difference in CPU speed/core.

Mobility is a key question - but also realize, if you're planning on editing, you're probably gonna want a nice big screen vs the 13" screen on the MBP, and also you are going to need an external firewire drive for your scratch media, which means that you'll probably be tied to a wall while editing anyway...

My Macs: 2012 Non-Retina 15" MBP; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
BenB

BenB is on a distinguished road

Mac Mini only has FW800 available for an external Scratch Drive. FW800 will not support HD video editing. Mac Mini does not have powerful enough graphics card to run Motion or Color.

Apple Certified Master Trainer
bbalser.com
FCPXProUniversity.com
LouisianaCajunCutters.org
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light

You know BenB, you seem to be considering the requirements of FCS3 instead of what the OP has - which is FCS2 which will work on a Mac mini. Also the FW800 - although they say in the manual will not support HD video editing is not necessarily accurate as many of us do edit ProRES 422 54mbps video with firewire scratch disks - now if you're using video that has a huge bitrate (ie: some ProRES 444 file @754 mbps, yeah, FW800 isn't gonna cut it) but . Also, the 9400m will run the version of Motion in FCS2 - some more advanced animations may be an issue, but many people use motion on a modern mini

My Macs: 2012 Non-Retina 15" MBP; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
tears2040

tears2040 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
to your questions -

Certain aspects of the innards of a Mac mini and a MBP 13" are similar, but the mini can have a faster CPU (2.66GHz vs 2.53GHz in MBP 13"), but less RAM (Mini max at 4g, MBP 13" max at 8g) - .

100% False regarding the Mac Mini's ram capability, the Mac Mini supports 8gbs of ram ( Snow Leopard )
123Macmini.com - News - The 2009 Mac Minis Support 8GB of RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenB View Post
Mac Mini only has FW800 available for an external Scratch Drive. FW800 will not support HD video editing. Mac Mini does not have powerful enough graphics card to run Motion or Color.

100% False again....... The Firewire drive can be used to edit + the graphics card is more then enough. This is an 1080p HD Music video I just shot and edited a couple of days ago on a 2007 Mac book Pro 2.2ghz with a 8600 128mb graphics card

YouTube - BIG WEE "STILL IN LOVE WITH WEE"

It truly bothers me when people lack the brain power to research and look for the truth. As a professional video editor I'm here to tell you that this can be done as I do it everyday.

Now regarding the ops question, both systems will work

peace
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tears2040 View Post
100% False regarding the Mac Mini's ram capability, the Mac Mini supports 8gbs of ram ( Snow Leopard )
123Macmini.com - News - The 2009 Mac Minis Support 8GB of RAM

My post in terms of the max ram was taken from Apples specs - I had never tested 8 gig of ram in a mini, nor researched beyond Apples specs on the topic.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenB
100% False again....... The Firewire drive can be used to edit + the graphics card is more then enough. This is an 1080p HD Music video I just shot and edited a couple of days ago on a 2007 Mac book Pro 2.2ghz with a 8600 128mb graphics card
Please don't lump me in on the "wrong again" thing here - as you're reference post is from BenB, and not me - so therefore, it's not a "wrong again" -but rather a "wrong" against something that BenB put forth.

QUOTE Thanks
tears2040

tears2040 can only hope to improve

Apologies on BenB and anyone else for the disrespect. Also I am only here to inform people that "YES" the Mac Mini with Snow can use 8gbs of ram and that yes you can edit HD video

peace
QUOTE Thanks
thomas998

thomas998 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Late 2008 MBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by askclifford View Post

-Use Motion

A mac mini with 2.53 will cost you 799... add on a magic mouse for another 69... then you need to be able to connect to a monitor so add 29 for that adapter... Oh did I forget, you need a keyboard... that's another 69...Now you are already up to 966 and you haven't even gotten a monitor yet... if you buy a reasonable priced 20 inch monitor you are going to spend about 250... so you've already put out over 1200...

I would expect if you are patient you could find a 15inch mbp for less than 1000...

The bigger question is whether you need the mobility or not.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quicktime Movie Fade-through-white Grey Box Issue | Am I asking too much? »