Exporting from iMovie '08 - help for Newbie
    Hello all,

I just bought a new Sony HD Handycam (2010 model) that shoots in 1080i. I do not have a blu ray disc burner (let alone a blu ray player :-) so for right now I just want to export video projects from iMovie that I shot originally in HD but will still look good (after downconverting) to be put on regular dvd-r discs.

I just don't have any idea what format/size to export to. I know from iMovie I have to export via Quicktime player, but do I export as mpeg-4 or as a Quicktime movie? Can it still be 16x9 even though I have to downconvert to standard def? In a nutshell, I just want to put my HD footage onto regular dvd-r discs - but want to know the best way to do it. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Yes, it can still be 16:9. You choose the size option when you start an iMovie project.

The easiest way to do this is to simply "share" your iMovie project over to iDVD. This will create a playable "movie DVD" with beautiful menu system, etc. No exporting required.

Thanks very much. I guess though that if I did want to burn to an blu ray disc I'd have to export via Quicktime right? Since the media browser doesn't appear to have an HD setting...

Thread Information