New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

iMovie 09 not responding

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

darren r

darren r is on a distinguished road

I've had iMovie09 for well over a year with no problems. The other day, however, it just decided to stop responding. I was adding some sound to a clip and the beach ball began spinning...and spinning...and spinning and I had to Force Quit.
I've searched the internet to see if anyone else had the same problem and found a variety of different solutions, some rather weird, all of which I've tried. These solutions include : changing the screen colours and recalibrating the display, moving all movie files from iPhoto (didn't have any), letting my laptop work its way through (I left it for over 5 hours) and, the most popular one, deleting apple.iPhoto.plist from Preferences (actually I couldn't find this in Preferences - maybe that's the problem??). I'd hate to lose a project I've been working on for over 18 months (I make a lot of use of Greenscreen) so I would really appreciate any advice!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I don't know why some of those ideas would work with iMovie. Some seem just outright off.

If you were to remove a preference file, the right one would be named something like "com.apple.iMovie8.plist". Drag it/them to your desktop and restart iMovie. If it solves the problem, then trash the one(s) you moved to the desktop.

Another option may be to re-install iMovie. You'll need your original install disc for that process. These two Apple articles may be helpful; 1, 2.

Your description of "not responding" doesn't tell us much. Does iMovie start? There are logs you can review that may help. You run the "Console.app" in the Utilities folder before starting iMovie.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
Bahja

Bahja can only hope to improve

I think i just installed an update for Imovie a few hours ago.................

A new MacBook Pro user as of oct 09 and loving it!! Sorry for the stupid questions i am asking as i know you will have been asked them a million times before
QUOTE Thanks
darren r

xstep ; yes, iMovie opens as it should, but if I click onto a clip in the Project or Event libraries (to remove it, edit it, whatever), the beachball starts spinning and that's that.In fact, I don't even need to click - just pause the cursor for a few seconds. I can open a music and sound effects, transitions etc file but then the same thing happens - the whole thing hangs and I can't do anything with it.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I've never had this problem. I've seen people mention something like this a couple of times, but don't recall a fix. I think I saw someone mention that you shouldn't use the '&' symbol in any names, but that is grasping. If I run over those mentions, I'll link to them.

Another file you might want to try dragging to the desktop is 'com.apple.iMovie.LSSharedFileList.plist'. I don't know what it is used for, but what do you have to loose.

I'd also look at the logging via Console.app. It may give some clues. Do that.

If that doesn't help, try trashing iMovie and reinstalling it.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

QUOTE Thanks
darren r

xstep : I can't find any iMovie p.list files in Preferences so that's a non-starter. I looked at the logging in the Console.app but it meant nothing to me unfortunately!

Removed and re-installed iMovie but no joy there either. Also tried another suggestion I found that seemed like it may offer the solution but, no. I'm really stumped now. But I thank you for your advice.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

Just out of curiosity, which Preferences folder are you looking at?

Have you changed your username lately?

You can post some of the Console.app output here. Start it, click on 'All Messages' at the left, scroll to the bottom of the list, remember the time stamp, start iMovie and do something that causes that 'lack' of feed back, look at the console and copy and paste the feedback, if any, here.

QUOTE Thanks
darren r

HD/Library/Preferences - please don't tell me there's another one!!

No, haven't changed my username and nobody else uses my laptop.

The problem obviously lies in the Project file so I've trashed it. Fortunately I still have all the Event stuff on iMovie 08 so I haven't lost that. Just means I'll have to reconstruct my movie again and hope it goes better this time.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

You are looking at the wrong Preferences folder. That is a global one that all users see. The one you want to examine is your personal one. It isn't a direct copy.

When you open a new Finder window, the display is opened to your home folder. In that folder is a Library folder and within that is a Preferences folder. They are part of the account. If your computer had another account, that account would have these folders too, but with settings that would be different. Never trash these folders because they hold a ton of information that is required.

Did trashing the project fix the problem?

QUOTE Thanks
darren r

Not too sure what you mean about the Preferences folder, but I will try to figure it out.

I've started reassembling my Project and so far it seems to be working OK.

Fingers crossed!
QUOTE Thanks
darren r

Ah, OK. Yes, I see what you mean. Finding that earlier might have solved the problem! At least, if it happens again, I'll know where to look.

Thanks for your help, xstep.
QUOTE Thanks
southportlandkk

southportlandkk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
If you were to remove a preference file, the right one would be named something like "com.apple.iMovie8.plist". Drag it/them to your desktop and restart iMovie. If it solves the problem, then trash the one(s) you moved to the desktop.
IT WORKED! THANK YOU!!! EVERYONE TRY THIS ^^^

Click finder> library>preferences> and find the file com.apple.iMovie8.plist and move it to the desktop (I didn't delete mine, I just copied it to the desktop). Next, I opened I movie and it was working! Everything was back to normal! I can't believe this!

It finally works!!!! YES!!!! tears of joy!!!
QUOTE Thanks
queenamanda

queenamanda is on a distinguished road

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My sequence settings match my clip format, but still have to render each clip in FCP | Please Help. Is a Canon T3i Rebel Capable of Doing this? »