New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Record computer activity to canon video camera without software.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jessieh04

jessieh04 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys.

I work in a place where we give presentations via a projector/laptop a lot. We want to be able to give the attendees a dvd of the powerpoint presentations. We tried using a tripod and a camera to record our presentation but we are hitting problems with the image quality and sound. Because it is literally a camera recording a screen in a dark room, the quality is too poor to be able to see some of the data and captions.

Thus, we are on a quest for new ideas. We don't need to see the lecturer in the video but We just need the voice and the presentation to follow along to it. Also, we want to be able to do it without installing software because some of the presenters bring their own laptops and may not feel comfortable with us installing it.

So my question is, I've got an HD Canon Vixia HF200 and I'd like to be able to record something directly from my computer screen into the camera so that we can burn that onto a DVD. I saw a few videos online about doing so, but they use VGA to s-video and I was hoping there were more options then that.

The camera has the following outputs:
- HDMI (preferred)
- The squigly trident USB port (trapeziod shaped)
- Component out (rectangle)
- Mic
- DC in
- Mini Advanced shoe on top

We also have the projector, maybe there is an option with that as well? The ports are as follows:
- usb (but the port is more squared)
- s-video
- video /L and R
- computer component
- monitor out

I'd appreaciate any input. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If you have Snow Leopard, you can use QuickTime X which is included. Simply open QuickTime and go to File > New Screen Recording. In the box that comes up, click the little white arrow and choose your audio input source (microphone) and video quality. Click record and enjoy. Video will be saved to your desktop.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Advice on connectivity issues with the latest macbook. Help! | Portable Hard Drive?? »