New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Advice on connectivity issues with the latest macbook. Help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Purn1

Purn1 is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone.
I'm starting a media production course in september (currently in full time employment, giving up work to do the course) and am wanting to buy a macbook pro 15" whilst i'm still employed and can afford it.
I was about to purchase one, when a friend of mine doing a ma in television production found out. She said do NOT by the new macbook pro due to the lack of the 600mbps and 400mbps fire ports (or whatever mbps they were) found on the previouse model. She tells me that the connectivity of the latest macbook pro is not sufficiant enough for editing at degree level and beyond. I thought that the single 800mbps one the new one would have been good enough. Do i wait untill they bring out the next macbook in the summer or is she talking s**t??
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

She's a bit off on this. The FW800 is a significantly faster port than the FW400 (which was the older standard). BUT you will need to get something to adapt from FW800 to FW400 if you're using a camera that is designed to connect via Firewire. Some people have reported trouble with some Firewire cameras with OSX Snow Leopard, but not everyone. I'd suggest you check out what cameras would be being used and do some searches to make sure you won't have any trouble.

Now, you are going to want/need an external drive to edit with - especially if you're going to be using Final Cut (there are lots of threads on the importance of using a drive other then your OS/boot drive as your editing/scratch drive) - of course, with the desire to do HighDef editing that you'll probably get to at some point in your class (if not from day one) you'll want a FW800 or esata drive to connect to the Mac - this means you'll have one of a few options:

1) With FW800 - unless you get the 17" Macbook Pro, if you're also needing to connect a FW camera to import footage, you'll need to daisy chain (or get a FW hub) - HD connected to the Mac, camera connected to the hard drive.

2) If you get a 17" Macbook Pro, it has a Expresscard slot - you can either get an eSata card (not sure which ones are compatible off hand, I don't have a 17" MBP so I've never had to research it) or a FW card with 1 or 2 FW ports. This way you can have the HD on a completely separate connection from the camera (assuming you're using a FW camera) and will improve overall performance. If you can find an eSata card that is compatible and get an external eSata hard drive (usually cheaper then a FW drive these days) you'll be the most happy for external storage because eSata is significantly faster then FW.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Purn1

Purn1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
She's a bit off on this. The FW800 is a significantly faster port than the FW400 (which was the older standard). BUT you will need to get something to adapt from FW800 to FW400 if you're using a camera that is designed to connect via Firewire. Some people have reported trouble with some Firewire cameras with OSX Snow Leopard, but not everyone. I'd suggest you check out what cameras would be being used and do some searches to make sure you won't have any trouble.

Now, you are going to want/need an external drive to edit with - especially if you're going to be using Final Cut (there are lots of threads on the importance of using a drive other then your OS/boot drive as your editing/scratch drive) - of course, with the desire to do HighDef editing that you'll probably get to at some point in your class (if not from day one) you'll want a FW800 or esata drive to connect to the Mac - this means you'll have one of a few options:

1) With FW800 - unless you get the 17" Macbook Pro, if you're also needing to connect a FW camera to import footage, you'll need to daisy chain (or get a FW hub) - HD connected to the Mac, camera connected to the hard drive.

2) If you get a 17" Macbook Pro, it has a Expresscard slot - you can either get an eSata card (not sure which ones are compatible off hand, I don't have a 17" MBP so I've never had to research it) or a FW card with 1 or 2 FW ports. This way you can have the HD on a completely separate connection from the camera (assuming you're using a FW camera) and will improve overall performance. If you can find an eSata card that is compatible and get an external eSata hard drive (usually cheaper then a FW drive these days) you'll be the most happy for external storage because eSata is significantly faster then FW.
Thank you very much for a concise answer!! The things other people have been telling me have been completly contradictory (to each other, not you!). I was begining to get the impression that the lack of two fw400 ports was the end of the world in respect of editing. I was being told to consider buying a recon old style mpb. Is it possible to buy them and is it worth it? Or would you just bite the bullet and by a new mpb?

Thankyou for your help!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imovie import problem | Record computer activity to canon video camera without software. »