New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

No space left on disk!?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sparhawk_16

Sparhawk_16 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 13.3" MacBook Pro: 300GB HDD, 2.53 GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM/ 80GB iPod Video Classic

Hey all,

I'm trying to use Xilisoft DVD Creator to burn a movie. The program worked like a charm a few months ago, but now it seems to have stopped working. I have a 700MB movie I want to burn, but every time I click the burn button, a message saying "There's not enough free space on disk, please free up 4107MB." I've tried burning different movies, I've even tried buying another brand of DVD-R's, but nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions? Anything at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Jamie-Jamie

Jamie-Jamie is a jewel in the roughJamie-Jamie is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS

Have you, in fact, tried the most obvious solution? Have you tried freeing up disk space?
QUOTE Thanks
Sparhawk_16

Mac Specs: 2009 13.3" MacBook Pro: 300GB HDD, 2.53 GHz, 4GB DDR3 RAM/ 80GB iPod Video Classic

On the blank DVD's? Didn't think I'd have to free up something that's already clear.
QUOTE Thanks
Jamie-Jamie

Hon, it's not on the DVDs... It's on your hard disk. The application requires sufficient space on the working hard disk to composite an image that it will then burn to the DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
Sparhawk_16

I have about 17.5 GB of free space on my hard disk. Is that enough or should I make more room?
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

It could be the space on your HD, but it could also be the space on the DVD - How long is the movie? The length of the movie is much more important than the size of the original file - as once it's converted to mpeg2 for DVD format, it may take a LOT more space then you're realizing if you don't seriously reduce the bitrate...

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Jamie-Jamie

Okay, then that is odd. I've found that's the most common issue with DVD recorders.
QUOTE Thanks
Sparhawk_16

The movie is 1:50:22. It says on the error message to free up 4107MB. It also says the expected outcome should be 2053MB out of a possible 4700.
QUOTE Thanks
Sparhawk_16

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Sparhawk_16

Ok, I have an update. I tried taking the blank DVD out, and running the program (it makes the image first and then you can insert the DVD in when it's done) and it still says to free up 4107MB. I tried deleting some stuff and it still gives me that error.

I'm thinking it's the program, but I've reinstalled it and tried different versions of it. Any suggestions for a simple to use program? iDVD is obnoxious, so I'd rather not use that if at all possible,
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

If it's talking about the hard drive space, it does take quite a bit of free space to convert some videos to DVD before finally burning to the blank DVD. Is there any way you could clear up a bit more space on the hard drive and see if that message goes away? If it's not the hard drive it's talking about, then I believe what Nethfel is talking about might be your issue.

I have never used or even seen Xilisoft DVD Creator so don't know how the application works. I use Toast here and it always seems to work.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I have never used or even seen Xilisoft DVD Creator so don't know how the application works. I use Toast here and it always seems to work.
The only place i have seen it is here in the forum, at that certain time of day when the SPAMMERS hit us for six ....

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Sparhawk_16

If you're calling me a spammer, I'm not.

I've tried freeing up some space, and it doesn't seem to do anything. I'll try toast.

Thanks a lot guys for your help. If toast doesn't work for some reason, well then I guess you'll be hearing from me again...
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk_16 View Post
If you're calling me a spammer, I'm not.
There was no where in my post i accused you of being a spammer. 1st thing is you have 27 posts and have been here a while, and to top it off there is no links to the software. I was just letting dtravis7 know that it is the software that the spammers hit us with and its the only place i have heard of this software.
If you read it differently I am sorry, BC that wasnt my intention.
I really hope you find a solution to your problem

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Sparhawk_16

I must have misunderstood. My apologies.
Thanks. I just started using Toast instead. It's taking a bit longer, but I'm fed up with trying to find a solution.

Thanks for your help guys!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sony HD and iMovie CODEC, HD quality downgrade | imovie import problem »