New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Portable Hard Drive??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SyMac

SyMac is on a distinguished road

Hi, what do you guys think about this portable hard drive here??

Iomega eGo Portable 500 GB External hard drive - 800Mbps(FireWire800)/400Mbps(FireWire)/480Mbps(Hi-Sp.USB)

I'm on a budget, but I keep hearing bad stories of portable drives, that they crash after so long. But my boss uses one and it hasn't failed yet. Seems so much easier to store things with it than to use DVDs, which took hours last night.

So I'm curious about two things...make that three.

1. What you think of this as a drive in general?

2. What you think of this as a drive that I could work off of/store all the media I'd work on in Final Cut Pro (Rendering, capturing, importing files from etc)? (If it's bad for that, I'd just use it as storage, and move the files from the drive to the computer in order to work with them.)

3. Would I be able to transfer files between Mac AND PC?

I want a reliable, PORTABLE hard drive. Even though I know those half-Xbox-sized things are probably more efficient, they're not portable in the least, and they have to be plugged into the wall.

Also, using a MacBook Pro

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I have the iOmega drive you linked, and I LOVE it. Had an Seagate... crapped out on me. Have a buddy who had the same Seagate... crapped out on him. The iOmega is really nice looking, built/designed very well and is FAST as lightening ! As far as power goes, I think that Firewire supplies power more efficiently than USB, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I would not hesitate to get another one, and I might do just that, instead of having these huge WD externals laying around. If I had to say anything negative about it, it would be that the activity light is incredibly, ridiculously BRIGHT ! Nothing a tiny piece of electrical tape of marker can't handle though.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
SyMac

SyMac is on a distinguished road

Alright guys, I went out and got one today, got the 3 year warranty with it as well. So far absolutely no complaints, as far as speed, it just copied 10 GB in 10 seconds. Seems to run fine directly in FCP so far. All seems fine now, if anything goes wrong in the future I'll awaken this topic

OH, but I notice about 25 GB is missing from it from the beginning, but that's probably just the files the drive needs to run, right??
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Record computer activity to canon video camera without software. | Where do you find the serial number in the actual Final Cut pro program? »