HD Graphics card for a G5?
    Hello,

I'm looking for a quality graphics card for my G5. Its a 2,5Ghz Dual Core, running on OS X Leopard.
    The graphics card I have at the moment is ATI Radeon 9600 XT. In my opinion this card seems to be a bit average which is well noticable when watching HD material.
    Are there any HD graphics cards for the G5? I have searched the web but without succes of finding one which is the reason I am asking here. I would also, eventualy, like to use it for video editing
    I'm really hoping there's some universal HD graphics card out there that I havent discovered yet.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help!

Specs:
    Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
    If you're just watching HD material, I don't think the video card will help too much - OSX Leopard if I'm not mistaken doesn't take advantage of the video cards capabilities for simple playback (H.264 using hardware acceleration wasn't introduced for playback until snow leopard w/ Quicktime X)

Here's a quote from Apples page about Quicktime X which is what's included with Snow Leopard:

Built for smooth playback.

QuickTime X is optimized for the latest modern media formats — such as H.264 and AAC — through a new media architecture that delivers stutter-free playback of high-definition content on nearly all Snow Leopard-based Mac systems. QuickTime X maximizes the efficiency of modern media playback by using the graphics processor to scale and display video. QuickTime X further increases efficiency by supporting GPU-accelerated video decoding of H.264 files.
    The video cards GPU is really only used AFAIK for the pro apps for their rendering of certain effects (ie: Final Cut Studio features such as Color)

I could be very wrong here - but that is how I currently understand it - if I'm wrong, I hope someone will post and show the appropriate references so I can better understand Leopards features I didn't think it had...

For other GPU options - you can take a look here:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...supported.html

You'll have to figure out what type of slots you have in your system to help narrow down what's compatible.
    My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m, 16Gig ram; 2013 Mac Pro 6 core w/ D700, 16Gig Ram; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Linux; Apple TV (1080p version)

Specs:
    27" 5K iMac, 3.3GHz, 256GB Flash Storge, 16GB memory and OS X.11.3.
    If it is a dual core it requires a PCIE graphics card aqnd not an ATI Radeon 9600 AGP card. Sounds like your machine actually is a Dual Processor. Dual core have DDR2 memory as well as the PCIE slots.

You're right, I'm no expert at these things.

Thanks for the reply! At least now I know it isn't the graphics card. Shame Snow Leopard is only for the Intel Macs, unless I'm mistaken..

Specs:
    27" 5K iMac, 3.3GHz, 256GB Flash Storge, 16GB memory and OS X.11.3.
    No you are not mistaken. A faster card would be the ATI Radeon 9800 Mac Pro, 256MB SDRAM. As a suggestion do not get a flashed PC card which one sees advertised on eBay etc regularly. Of course the faster cards have fan units and sometimes these do fail.

Thread Information