New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

HD Graphics card for a G5?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FunkApprentice

FunkApprentice is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I'm looking for a quality graphics card for my G5. Its a 2,5Ghz Dual Core, running on OS X Leopard.
The graphics card I have at the moment is ATI Radeon 9600 XT. In my opinion this card seems to be a bit average which is well noticable when watching HD material.
Are there any HD graphics cards for the G5? I have searched the web but without succes of finding one which is the reason I am asking here. I would also, eventualy, like to use it for video editing
I'm really hoping there's some universal HD graphics card out there that I havent discovered yet.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help!
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

If you're just watching HD material, I don't think the video card will help too much - OSX Leopard if I'm not mistaken doesn't take advantage of the video cards capabilities for simple playback (H.264 using hardware acceleration wasn't introduced for playback until snow leopard w/ Quicktime X)

Here's a quote from Apples page about Quicktime X which is what's included with Snow Leopard:

Quote:
Built for smooth playback.

QuickTime X is optimized for the latest modern media formats — such as H.264 and AAC — through a new media architecture that delivers stutter-free playback of high-definition content on nearly all Snow Leopard-based Mac systems. QuickTime X maximizes the efficiency of modern media playback by using the graphics processor to scale and display video. QuickTime X further increases efficiency by supporting GPU-accelerated video decoding of H.264 files.
The video cards GPU is really only used AFAIK for the pro apps for their rendering of certain effects (ie: Final Cut Studio features such as Color)

I could be very wrong here - but that is how I currently understand it - if I'm wrong, I hope someone will post and show the appropriate references so I can better understand Leopards features I didn't think it had...

For other GPU options - you can take a look here:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...supported.html

You'll have to figure out what type of slots you have in your system to help narrow down what's compatible.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

If it is a dual core it requires a PCIE graphics card aqnd not an ATI Radeon 9600 AGP card. Sounds like your machine actually is a Dual Processor. Dual core have DDR2 memory as well as the PCIE slots.
QUOTE Thanks
FunkApprentice

FunkApprentice is on a distinguished road

You're right, I'm no expert at these things.

Thanks for the reply! At least now I know it isn't the graphics card. Shame Snow Leopard is only for the Intel Macs, unless I'm mistaken..
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

No you are not mistaken. A faster card would be the ATI Radeon 9800 Mac Pro, 256MB SDRAM. As a suggestion do not get a flashed PC card which one sees advertised on eBay etc regularly. Of course the faster cards have fan units and sometimes these do fail.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« quick poll on available video-web sites | I Movie to Camcorder, loss of connection »