New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

iMovie problems.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iMaisie

iMaisie is on a distinguished road

Okay, bear with me, this may just be me being the newbie of iMovie but anyway, I am a frequent youtube user, I have my own account and I am a big fan of the Sims 3 series. When another youtuber gave me the inspiration to start making my own sims 3 videos I was really interested. Then, I started finding difficulty of getting the videos I had created onto youtube. But then, today, as I realized the SAME youtuber uses iMovie to edit and sort his videos the problem of not being able to upload it to youtube went away, because I knew I could import my videos onto iMovie - This is where my problem arose. I had the saved videos in a folder on my computer, but - these files were .avi files. Which, I soon realized weren't compatible with iMovie, because when I tried to open the file, it didn't give me the option to.

So, what it all boils down to is, does anybody know a website that you can convert your files. Also, which file extensions do Youtube and iMovie accept? After looking around Yahoo Answers and Wikianswers, most people were saying it was .mp4

Thanks,
- iMaisie.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

iMovie accepts *certain kinds* of AVI files, but AVI is a container not a codec, so who knows what codecs are being used by that file.

I would suggest converting the videos to MP4, which iMovie likes fine. Once you're done editing, the built-in YouTube uploader in iMovie will set the movie to your options for high quality.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Look into Handbrake to convert the movie files. It should be able to convert those files for you with ease.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for a smaller sized media for VOB files | Converting movies for the internet »