New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

1080i on macbook pro 17" problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

funkdabeat

funkdabeat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2010 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 320M

Hi, i am trying to plug my 17"macbook pro late 2006 into my 42" (not full hd) TV using a gold plated DVI >> HDMI cable, the problem is that the picture is pixelated and has chopped off a 1 inch border around the whole screen. Any suggestions?

Does my computer support 1080i? Also if i get the latest Mac Pro would that solve my problem?

Thanks in advance.

Elliott

Hacking - Doing what the developers couldn't.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

See the following thread:

Connecting your Mac to your TV

I have just added the 2nd post there to answer this question.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Bobtomay pretty much covered the overscan issue - now on the other topic - the video you're getting out:

First question I have is - you say the TV isn't full HD (yet it has an HDMI connector which is normally reserved for HD TVs (whether they be 720p or 1080i/p) what is your tvs max resolution?

Next: What kind of file is it, container/codec? And also what bitrate is it recorded at?

Next: Is it pixelated on your laptop? Look close, although you have a high rez screen, it may be harder to see the pixelation then it is on a gigantic screen.

Next: What are you using to play the file?

The latest Mac Pro isn't required - I have a mac mini hooked up in my home theater and although it took some time to find all the right settings for HD files to look nice on my screen, I play 1080p footage without real problems. I'm not saying the latest Mac Pro isn't totally awesome, I'm just saying it's overkill for just playing back video files on your TV unless they fall under certain specifications (and even then they can easily be converted)

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I read right past that part.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I read right past that part.
Hahaha, happens to me all the time - honestly, I figured you were primarily concerning yourself with tv hookup and overscan and leaving the rest for someone else I'm looking forward to the rest of your TV faq, I've found it quite interesting so far!

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie 7 does not import video snippets from my iMovie HD project | On Sequence settings in FCP, and exporting in best quality? »