New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Imovie 9 crashes more the windows!!!!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kola

Kola is on a distinguished road

I have recently swapped from XP to Snow Leopard.

Mostly my experience has been positive but Imovie is terrible.

Twice now I have lost hours of work and I have only started using it 4 days ago.

There is no save button (why????) and worse, there is no Save As button allowing you to create a safety net by making your own physical backups.

I am amazed a company I have come to respect such as apple would release this rubbish!! There are threads all over the net like this one.

I am very annoyed at the time of writing. I have just lost a project I had very nearly finished that took me around 8 hours.

Often people say why do I pay so much more for apple products and I tell them because they are far less hassle and worth the extra. Not so with Imove 9.

Back to windows movie maker for me.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kola View Post
I have recently swapped from XP to Snow Leopard.

Mostly my experience has been positive but Imovie is terrible.
This suggests something is wrong with your copy of iMovie. You might try reinstalling it (or at least making sure you're up to date with it).

Quote:
There is no save button (why????)
Because it saves everytime you do anything.

Quote:
and worse, there is no Save As button allowing you to create a safety net by making your own physical backups.
Actually, your work is backed up by Time Machine every hour. You **do** have Time Machine of course ... RIGHT?

Quote:
I have just lost a project I had very nearly finished that took me around 8 hours.
You probably haven't actually. It's probably still sitting in your Movies folder.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Assuming iMovie 09 carried this feature from iMovie 08, in the file menu, there should be a duplicate project option which should allow you to make a copy of your project either to a different location and/or under a different name (honestly, I don't use iMovie, I stick with Final Cut).

But I agree with Chas_m, you may want to try re-installing and doing some other diagnostic tests just to play it safe - the problem could be iMovie, but it could be that iMovie is just revealing the existence of a problem rather then actually being the problem (see Basic OS X/Mac Troubleshooting to get you started with troubleshooting)

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safer way to download movie files? | Making YouTube load faster »