New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Sony DVD camcorder help needed!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nerraw92

nerraw92 is on a distinguished road

Listen. I have 2 sony camcorders - the dcr-dvd403 and the dcr-dvd201. I have footage on two discs already that I need on my computer. I am not a computer geek, I am not super intelligent, and all I want is the footage to be on my computer so that I am able to edit it in iMovie or watch it in quicktime. I've already browsed many forums. I have no clue what MacTheRipper is, nor Handbrake, nor VLC. Nor do I know how to use them. Can someone tell me (using words as if they were talking to a brain-dead illegal immigrant who's never seen a computer in his life before) how I can get the footage off the two mini-DVDs and onto my computer in an editable format? (If possible.)
QUOTE Thanks
dakineyj

dakineyj will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

Well lets see. First, you do not state what kind of mac you are using so you need to start off with a tray loading dvd drive. You cannot put those mini discs in a slot load or they will get stuck in there.

You need to finalize the discs in the camera so they are made playable.

Then you need to rip the dvds to the computer. I use handbrake often. It is free. Download it and install it. Put in the dvd open up handbrake. It will ask you for the source, select the dvd. On the of the handbrake window should be the presets for encoding. If not press the toggle presets button on the upper right corner. Select something like normal or high profile. Then click start. It will import the video file. Then you should be able to import the files into imovie.

You should know that the video quality will be very poor as the video files are compressed to the dvd.

When I entered the mac world I had one of those cameras too. I got rid of it on ebay and picked up a mini dv recorder. It uses little tapes and works much better for importing videos to the mac.
QUOTE Thanks
nerraw92

nerraw92 is on a distinguished road

OK. To clarify, I have a Macbook (from 9/2008), the DVD is finalized, and I am able to access it via a USB cable to my camcorder. I am able to see that my computer recognizes it there because it shos up and says MINIDVD_i9374blahblahblah. and it has like a TS(??) folder in it.

To reiterate though, I am not a computer geek. I do not understand words like "rip" and "encoding." Moreover when I try to use handbrake, it I click start, it says something like "No VLC detected," and gives me options like "get VLC," "try scan anyway," and "cancel scan."

Pro-tip for talking to me: try dumbing it down about 4.3 notches.
QUOTE Thanks
dakineyj

Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

Alrighty, lets see if we can make some progress.

Ok, that is good that it seems as though the computer is seeing the camera as a dvd drive. The Video TS file is good as well. That is pretty much what you would see on any dvd.

The term used to describe writing to a dvd from a computer it is Burn. When you copy a movie from a dvd to the computer, that is ripping.

I guess I have had handbrake installed for so long that I had forgotten that it uses VLC for the language. Go here:

VLC media player for Mac OS X

Download and install the one for whichever operating system you are using. To find out which operating system click on the Apple in the top left of your screen and select About This Mac and it will tell you.

Once you have installed VLC, which is just a movie player that is supposed to be able to play any video format, go back and open up Handbrake and pick the dvd as the source. Hit start and see what happens.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dakineyj

So did you get it?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Aimersoft DVD ripping | M103 Video? »