New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

apple commercial 1984

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

round-

round- is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook White 2009, 2.26 GHz

I don't know if I've posted this thread the right place, but here's my situation:

Im writing an assignment about Apple, and I'd been told to analyse the commercial when Macintosh where introduced ( YouTube - 1984 Apple's Macintosh Commercial ) - i just think is a pretty "different" commercial - and I can't find any symbols etc.

I have seen the movie George Orwell 1984 about the "big brother society", but I still find this commercial hard to analyse :/

Can any of you help me out?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

George Orwell's 1984 was written around 1948, and was about a future where he state controlled every aspect of individuals and society, dominating all walks of life, from speech to how you think. The hero in 1984 begins to think differently and starts to look for an alternative life away from Big Brother (the state).

In the 1980's IBM was the Microsoft/Google of its day, dominating the PC industry. Apple's ad shows the Macintosh challenging the Big Brother of computing with a new alternative that was more individual and free thinking.

The advert basically says that the PC industry of the time was made by a large corporation in a one size fits all answer for other large organizations, not caring for the individual. The Macintosh was supposed to be a computer from the little company (Apple) for individuals to free themselves.

To give the advert it's most basic analysis: Its the age old struggle of the individuals against a more powerful or all powerful entity, like a powerful organization or state.

You could cite many classic examples

David and Goliath
The American revolution
Nelson Mandella
The Indian Independence movement
George Orwell's 1984
Aldous Huxley's Brave New World
The Matrix
V for Vendetta ... to name a few

There is also this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_(advertisement)

But if you copy any bits from Wikipedia, cite them rather than pass then off as your own throughts

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
round-

Thank you very much.
- so it's kinda "the small against the big one?"

It wants to show people not to be like a feather in the wind - and just follow what every one do? am I right?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by round- View Post
I have seen the movie George Orwell 1984 about the "big brother society", but I still find this commercial hard to analyse :/

Can any of you help me out?
Shouldn't you be doing your own analysis...and coming up with your own conclusions or unique thoughts? I would think that would be a BIG part of this assignment.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
round-

Yeah of course? but I got stuck, cuz im not so good at doing analysis..
I'm asking for advices to help me out, as mentioned above - not for unimportant comments like ur's - because i haven't asked for somebody to write it for me. So please mind your own business, if u'r not here to help.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah of course? but I got stuck, cuz im not so good at doing analysis..
If asking others for their analysis is ok...then why don't you ask your teacher for their opinion...and see what sort of answer they give you!

I bet it's going to be very similar to what I mentioned above!!!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Quote:
Like u know what my assignment is about? We are not allowed to seek any advices from our teaches , so hey, what were we betting about ?

Btw, why don't u get a hobby, instead of sitting trying to find forums where u can annoy people and argue without any acknowledge.

You received the advice you were looking for ( well done Louishen) so why not just take it and stop with the rude remarks ? They really wont help you when / if you come back for more help !

Clay

PS and in fairness pigoo3 made a valid remark.

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
round-

nick wasn't here to help me .. and yeah I received an advice, and asked back a question to see if I understood it.
- and btw, I told Nick to go if he wasn't here to help, but he kept going on, so i cant see why i'm the enemy and he's the victim..
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yep, rude remarks removed.

If you come to forums with members from all around the world with varying views and opinions from one extreme to another, have to take what you like with what you may not as long as the bounds of propriety are not overstepped.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
nick wasn't here to help me .. and yeah I received an advice, and asked back a question to see if I understood it.
- and btw, I told Nick to go if he wasn't here to help, but he kept going on, so i cant see why i'm the enemy and he's the victim..
No insults were intended. But I think that when you get an academic assignment (unless it's specifically mentioned by your teacher that getting help from others is ok)..."shopping" the internet for answers seems very very wrong!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
round-

Didn't I give him an advice , just like he just did to me?
- I dont think it was rude (maybe cause im from Denmark - I mean, what i said, wouldn't be removed in forums here in Denmark), I just thought that it was a very unimportant post.. thats why i told him to go .. but he kept going on ..
QUOTE Thanks
round-

Nick , inspiration is allowed - our teaches even told us, that we could go on the internet and find assignment witch is similarly to our assignments - to find inspiration. (thats why i said 'like u know what my assignment is about")

- Its not an academic assignment, im 3. year in business school
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Quote:
Didn't I give him an advice , just like he just did to me?
- I dont think it was rude (maybe cause im from Denmark - I mean, what i said, wouldn't be removed in forums here in Denmark), I just thought that it was a very unimportant post.. thats why i told him to go .. but he kept going on ..

Perhaps it is a culture thing but...You dont really get to tell him or anyone to go .That would be the MODS job and they do it very well ( trust me ).

And since we seem to be big on advice...just let this go . No harm done and and If you hang around , and we hope you do , you will find this to be a very fair and open place that you can and will learn a great deal from.

Just the thoughts of a Nebraska redneck
Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

And I would suggest both of you have had your say. Time to get back on track to your homework assignment don't you think?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
round-

okay, thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to get footage from Sony DVD Handycam DCR-DVD92 onto FCP7? | wmv files and DRM »