New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

How do you move a project back into iMovie?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tadd5181

tadd5181 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac OS X v. 10.6.5

I created a movie in iMovie 09 and it exists on my hard drive with a "dvdproj" extension. When I open file>import (and any of its subparts) the project I want to move is not shown (some others are shown but they are grayed out).

How can I move that project back into iMovie 09 for further editing?
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

That dvdproj extension is an iDVD project folder. I don't think source material is copied into it from iMovie. Unless you removed the original iMovie project or events, iMovie should still have the original.

If you shared from iMovie to iDVD, check your "Movies/iMovie Sharing" folder. The other location to check is the "Movies" folder within the particular project folder. You can use the Finder to do that by right clicking on the project from the Finder and choosing "Show Package Contents".

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
tadd5181

xstep wrote above that "unless [I] removed the original iMovie project or events, iMovie should have the original".

I don't think I did and, if I didn't, where do I find that and get it back into iMovie for further editing?

And if I did or was about to, how do I keep from doing that and saving the project for further editing. For example, if I then work on an intervening project, how do I save the prior one so that I can return to it?

Thanks for anyone's help.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

iMovie saves your project changes as you perform them.

If you can't see the old project and you didn't delete it, I don't know what to tell you beyond; Perhaps you are in a current project and need to click the "Project Library" button on the top upper left corner of the iMovie window in order to display the list of projects.

To find all of you iMovie project files, use Spotlight to search for .rcproject and use Show All to figure out where they are at. As for the imported content, that is more difficult although searching for "iMovie Thumbnails" may be helpful.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
tadd5181

Thanks...what you gave me allowed me to recover/find the project I was hunting. It probably is simple to some to move to a new program, but it was stumping me. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Editing 1080i MPGs without converting | How to get footage from Sony DVD Handycam DCR-DVD92 onto FCP7? »