New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Video and photo editing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Deuce

Deuce is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27-inch 2.66GHz quad-core

Hi Everyone I'm new on this forum ! I just bought a 27 inch I Mac 2.66GHz quad-core wich is a little different (not much though) from my last Mac a Mac Plus with a 20 Meg Hard drive back in the day). I guess things change for the better ! I am trying to find a way to make special effects with my pictures while editing videos and pictures in I movie. Is there a way to make those effect or I have to use another software to import my photo editing as is and integrate them with my videos. My other problem is I have a HD video cam JVC HD everio 60 gig and I cant download my HD videos on my Mac any sugestions on what software I should get to be able to see on my Mac my videos and edit them ! Thanks Deuce
QUOTE Thanks
Mickyfin

Mickyfin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite

Welcome to the forums my friend. I too am looking for some pointers to the water drop effect for video transitions.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Enverio camcorders use a proprietary form of MPEG-2. Just rename the resulting files .mpg and you should now be able to play them. The free program MPEG Streamclip will be able to convert them, though you will probably need the $30 MPEG-2 Playback component from Apple.

iMovie is limited to just the transition effects that it comes with (including one specific one that I would have described as "water drop", have you checked that out?).

Now, I could insert my treasured lecture about how "dissolve" is pretty much all the transition effect a video really needs, but I have a hunch it will fall on deaf ears.

You may want to investigate other video editors for the Mac, from the cross-platform ZS4 (doesn't look like much is going on there), to YourView ($30), to Norkross ($60), Adobe Premiere Pro ($800), and Final Cut Express ($199, but includes the $30 MPEG-2 Playback Component as its made by Apple). But definitely check out the video transitions offered by iMovie first -- it will save you a lot of money if you can just get by with it!
QUOTE Thanks
Mickyfin

Mickyfin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite

Thanks, found it, its called "Ripple".

I will have a play around with iMovie, although Im already a little confused where to start, as its not like what Im used to. Imported HD footage from camera fine, and actually opted for the large size rather that full size seeing as this is my first edit.
QUOTE Thanks
Deuce

Deuce is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27-inch 2.66GHz quad-core

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Enverio camcorders use a proprietary form of MPEG-2. Just rename the resulting files .mpg and you should now be able to play them. The free program MPEG Streamclip will be able to convert them, though you will probably need the $30 MPEG-2 Playback component from Apple.

iMovie is limited to just the transition effects that it comes with (including one specific one that I would have described as "water drop", have you checked that out?).

Now, I could insert my treasured lecture about how "dissolve" is pretty much all the transition effect a video really needs, but I have a hunch it will fall on deaf ears.

You may want to investigate other video editors for the Mac, from the cross-platform ZS4 (doesn't look like much is going on there), to YourView ($30), to Norkross ($60), Adobe Premiere Pro ($800), and Final Cut Express ($199, but includes the $30 MPEG-2 Playback Component as its made by Apple). But definitely check out the video transitions offered by iMovie first -- it will save you a lot of money if you can just get by with it!
Chas_m I tried it but it did not really work ! Even when I bring the matter at my local apple store nobody seems to be able to help me ! The cam corder is a JVC GZ-HD3U full HD 1080 video camcorder. I have been able to transfer the tod files on my I Mac but even using Clipwrap 2.0 Apple - Downloads - Video - ClipWrap it still do not work ! Can you help me out ! Thanks Deuce
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Have you tried not transferring the files to the Mac, but rather leaving the files on the camera and hooking it (the camera) up to your Mac to see if iMovie will properly identify and ingest the footage from the camera?

Take a look at this thread which may help you (you may need to specially configure your camcorder to make future footage work, with your existing footage, if it's not recognized, the only option is transcoding to another container/codec that will work with iMovie) Apple - Support - Discussions - iMovie Won't Recognize JVC GZ-HD3U ...

Unfortunately, you've got one of (IMHO) worst cameras when it comes to pure file support. It uses its' own proprietary format that is pseudo mpeg. Usually if anyone asks me if they should get a JVC camcorder to edit with, honestly, I suggest no because of incompatibilities. Camcorders that record HD to tape (HDV) or to AVCHD (SD card, HDD, etc.) are much more widely supported across different platforms.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need to rip VR DVD to HD for editing. | help with an old sony video Hi8 handycam »