Thread: 4:3 to 16:9

Question 4:3 to 16:9
    I have a project from a few years ago that was recorded on Sony TRV900.
    I am currently editing this in iMovie 6.0.4. Is it possible to convert this 4:3 format to 16:9? How?
    Thanks

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Not without it looking "wrong".
    It's a bit like a widescreen TV stretching an old 4:3 broadcast to fit the screen. Round things tend to look like rugby balls for example, regardless of how good the processing is.
    You're better off with it "as is".
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrbud View Post
    I have a project from a few years ago that was recorded on Sony TRV900.
    I am currently editing this in iMovie 6.0.4. Is it possible to convert this 4:3 format to 16:9? How?
    Thanks
    You COULD just crop the video rather severely on the top and bottom to fake the 16:9 look (ISTR there was even a plugin for iMovie 6 HD that could do this). Yeah, that'll look good ... not!

Your only other option is to stretch everything out, which will look as bad as cropped, lower-resolution video. No, if it was shot in 4:3, you are wise to leave it in 4:3.

4:3 to 16:9
    Thanks for reply. I knew stretching it out wasn´t the answer. Thought maybe a letterboxing thing might look OK. Just trying to make project adapt to all the wide screen TVs.

PWRBUD

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrbud View Post
    Thanks for reply. I knew stretching it out wasn´t the answer. Thought maybe a letterboxing thing might look OK. Just trying to make project adapt to all the wide screen TVs.

PWRBUD
    Yeah, the trick to that is to shoot it in true 16:9 *first,* then crop the sides for the 4:3 version (the same way fullscreen DVDs "modify the film to fit your television").

Thread Information