Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
    iMovie HD questions
    I have iMovie HD on my Mac that I bought in 2005, so I assume this would be equivalent to like iMovie '05 I suppose. Anyhow, I think it creates mpeg-4 files. So here are my questions: If I create a movie and wish to play it on my sister's Macbook that runs iMovie '07 or '08 (not exactly sure which version), would I be able to? Or is it even necessary that her laptop even have iMovie on it, but just a way to play back mpeg-4 files?

Why I ask is because I've yet to create an iMovie project, but this first one will be crucial - it's for my sister's wedding and I need it to run on her Macbook.

Specs:
    24" iMac - 2.8 GHz Core Extreme, 4 GB RAM, 2 TB RAID Array
    Are you looking to run the actual project files on her computer? If so, it will be quite difficult, as all your source files reside on your computer... You'll have to copy them all into the proper directory (trust me, it's a pain) to get it to work.

However, if you're looking just to export an MP4 file and play it, you should be good. If you're looking to test it (I assume you're showing this at the wedding), is there a way to sneak a hold of her Macbook while she's not home?

Good luck!

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    1. I believe the "iMovie HD" designation applies only to iMovie 6, but I could be wrong.

2. As Nohtanhoj says, exporting from iMovie to a MP4 file (or any QuickTime-supported format) should work fine with your sister's machine. She can play it using QuickTime, no iMovie necessary.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
    Okay, that's what I wanted to hear, to be able to simply export it and play it on her laptop. Thanks for the help!

Thread Information