New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Ridiculously long encoding for Handbrake

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

beatrix

beatrix is on a distinguished road

I looked and around and didn't see this issue covered.

I downloaded handbrake and vlc and seemed to load up the movie onto my harddrive ok (took around 24 hoursm which I understand is not that crazy). I tried to move it into itunes (it's a m4v file) but that didn't work. Then I saw on Handbrake that I needed to encode it. Ok, fine, but it says it will take 170 hours. That can't possibly be right.

But when I tried a small sample, it actually moved into itunes and played. Does this mean I really need to wait 6 DAYS to get this movie into an acceptable format for itunes? That's just crazy.

I tried just changing the file extension to mp4 but that didn't work either. Any ideas?

Thanks,
QUOTE Thanks
beatrix

beatrix is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the typos. Didn't preview.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

You must be doing something wrong....i have used handbreak a lot and transfered hours and hours of video from it to itunes and my iphone and its never taken 6 days !

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
rfe959

rfe959 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2,1, Macbook Pro 5.1, (2) iphone 4S's, (2) iPad Mini's, Apple TV, MacBook Pro 9.2

I agree. 6 days! I could load more than 100 movies in that amount of time. Are you sure the movies are decrypted properly? I've run into that problem with Acrose.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

I have found for me that using the Apple Universal preset works just fine. And since I dont know what half of those settings do I just let it go...
Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

beatrix doesn't say what age that mac is, but even a G4 could encode a movie in a few hours

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie Issues ... | Lost unsaved data with iMovie HD... Help! »