Help with playing movies in FrontRow

I have alot of movies in different formats, some will play in Front Row, some won't, some will have video but no sound.

I was just wondering what the best option is out there.

1. Should I try to find a codec package for Front Row that will play everything?

2. Convert all movies to a single format.

Please advise.

Lake Mary, Florida
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    I honestly haven't experimented all that much with FrontRow, but I think it will play anything that Quicktime will (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So, if that's true, I'd imagine installing the Perian codec package should make it pretty versatile.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

North Louisiana, USA
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.10.2, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Correct on both counts. Front Row relies on the QuickTime codecs for playback. Installing Perian takes care of several different formats. The most consistent stumbling block seems to be copy protected Windows media files.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
    Frankly, unless you're playing DRM'd iTunes video / Music, I'd look into a different front end for playing video in a home theater appearance.

You can take a look at some like:

or my favorite Plex

I use Plex with my mini hooked into my HDTV as my dedicated HTPC. It plays pretty much everything I've thrown at it (mkv, AVI, FLV, OGM, mp4, etc.), and handles multiple audio / subtitle tracks in MKVs nicely, and offers offsetting of audio incase a file plays out of sync. Works well with the Apple remote, and it can launch Front Row or Apples DVD player from within its interface (which is convenient if you want to play iTunes DRM video or audio, or want to play DVDs as although Plex does a great job with video files, it's not great at playing DVDs (actually, it's built in DVD playback functionality kinda sucks)) It doesn't do DRM music / video, and I've had a couple of files that didn't play back right, but compared with the amount that wouldn't play back right in Front Row for me it was well worth it (especially since the cost - free - is perfect) and I just didn't want to transcode my video.
    My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)

Thread Information