New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

whats the best 1080p video player on Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

saguakid

saguakid is on a distinguished road

My new iMac is having trouble playing 1080 HD videos,I tried VLC,Quicktime w Perian and even Plex that pple says is the best...when i tried to play 1080p videos its all chopped images and very slow..Seema like 720 works better but not perfect...is driving me nuts cause i can see any movies...any help please
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

How much RAM do you have, and what processor?

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
saguakid

Have the current new iMac Processor 3.06GHz Memory 4GB 1067 MHz RAM
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Tons of power there then, but a bit of googling lead me to this article:

1080p MKV playback on Mac OS X (VLC)

You haven't said what file type you are trying to play, but this should help. It seems it's a software issue.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
saguakid

I already googled that and found that page,did that on VLC but still no luck,Seems like Flex is the best.. Files are mkv.. All this sucks.. Will true another mkv 1080 movie..maybe it's a bad file.. Flex don't give me any option that I can move forward like VLC or QT.. Don't know how to use it
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Ok. I'll have a search around too, and try some mkv on my lower powered iMac.

QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Have you tried Perian for Quicktime?

Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components

Seems to support .mkv, so worth a try.

QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Actually, Plex has a lot of control for moving around in a video - but you either need to know the keyboard commands or have a remote - here's a reference for the keyboard commands:

Keyboard - Plex

What kind of bitrate is that 1080p file? Usually I play 720p (I play on a Mac Mini connected to my TV, and it's a lot less power then your iMac, so I know 720p files should play perfectly smooth on it) files that are around 5-6mbps bitrates and I haven't had any problems with stuttering in VLC or Plex.

What else do you have running on your system? Have you tried transcoding the files into a different bitrate/resolution/container that has better apple support?

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
saguakid

Well if my iMac has 1080 video i think it shouldnt be a problem,and yes,I have Perian for Quicktime,seems like Quicktime is the worst to play,Plex is the best but not 100% still have problem with pixelation..I think it should be better players for Mac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Compressing video files to send via yousendit | Divx Joiner »