New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

how to display new iMac to 1920x1080 on my HDTV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

saguakid

saguakid is on a distinguished road

I got a new Imac and a new Sony HDTV,Both with higher resolution of 1920x1080,when i go to display and I tried to put the higher resolution wont let me on VGAdisplay only works with 1600x1200,60Hz...The iMac is correctly displayed in 1200x1080
Why doesnt let me put my VGA cable to the maximum resolution in my HDTV..Any way to fix that or i need a new cable
Also the iMac dont turn off completly when im playing videos,macbooks do it but not iMac... Is annoying
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you want to use VGA to any manufacturers HDTV, you need to open the user manual and check the capability of it's VGA port. The better manufacturers (and Sony is one of those) will have a listing of the resolutions the TV is capable of accepting over VGA.

(The correct resolution on the new 21.5" iMac is 1920X1080.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
BenB

BenB is on a distinguished road

And remember that your HDTV screen is NOT measured in pixels, but in lines. TV screens and computer monitor are NOT the same resolution ever, produce images very differently, etc. Your TV is interlaced, your computer monitor is progressive. Even if your TV can do progressive, it's doing lines, not pixels. Pixels have nothing to do with video. I'd strongly recommend in intermediary box that turns the signal into HDMI to get true HD to your TV without the headaches.

Apple Certified Master Trainer
bbalser.com
FCPXProUniversity.com
LouisianaCajunCutters.org
QUOTE Thanks
saguakid

what box is that to get it
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Disagree that there is any reason to pay $100-$250 for a convertor box. Don't even believe there is a box made for conversion from the current iMac's displayport to HDMI. You would have to use a mini displayport to VGA and then a convertor to HDMI. Essentially going from digital to analog and back to digital again.

If you have the current model iMac with mini displayport, there are a whole lot of happy folks using a mini displayport to HDMI cable ($10-$13).

edit:

Before you consider moving to HDMI, I still suggest opening up the Sony manual and verify what resolutions and frequencies your TV supports through VGA. If you don't have it, you can find your Sony manual online at Sony.

Some older TV sets specifically state not to connect a PC via HDMI. None of the new sets have this limitation. Need to check this out.

Also, if you are looking to get the sound output through the TV rather than a separate surround system, you will need to read the manual and verify that your TV will allow for a separate input to be matched to your HDMI port. There are many TV's that do not as they are expecting the sound to be carried over the HDMI cable.

QUOTE Thanks
saguakid

VGA resolutions in manual says````````````````640x480,but im using now 1600x1200 60 Hz
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

If that is an older HDTV, it very well may not accept any but 4:3 resolutions through VGA.

QUOTE Thanks
saguakid

How do I know I'm using 4:3 resolution thru VGA?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

1600x1200 is 4:3 - and you'll have black bars on each side of the screen if your HDTV is a widescreen.

QUOTE Thanks
saguakid

Yes I do have black bars,,,Can I use the new HDTV Cable from apple store?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

There is no such thing as a specific cable by the name "HDTV cable".

The term "HDTV cable" applies to multiple different types of cables that are capable of carrying a high definition image.

If you want to move from VGA to a different cable and would like someone to recommend a specific adapter/cable or be able to say "yes, that is the one you need", then you will have to provide the info requested in the first post here.

QUOTE Thanks
saguakid

I thought that the new apple hdtv cable for 20$ can be used as they told me at apple store but since they dont know anything im asking her first
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

You can ask. Until you provide the info requested in the link I provided above, you'll not get an answer that is based on anything other than pure conjecture.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem downloading with Tubetv | Converting WMV files for editing in iMovie »