New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Can't get iPhoto to see AVCHD movies

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mooli1

mooli1 is on a distinguished road

Just bought a Panasonic Lumix camera which also records 720p video in ACVHD format. iPhoto picks up the pictures just fine, but won't even see the videos. I've tried opening the videos directly off the SD card using VLC Player, but no luck there, either. I'd be very grateful for any suggestions. With thanks in advance,

mooli1
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I did a little prying around and couldnt find anything about AVCHD movies in iPhoto, but there is something in Apples support pages about watching them in iMovie as long as you have iLife ... Have a look HERE

Just found something else as well, that iLife 09 with updates now supports ACVDH ...
HERE
Dont really know too much about it myself but just found these doing a little google

EDIT: Just found THIS also in the Apple forums which might give you some better insight ...

Hope this helps

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Part of the problem I think is that iPhoto is not a video player, it's designed for photos.

You should be able to open the camera like a hard drive if it's connected to your computer, if not then you should be able to pull out the memory card and plug it into a card reader and read it - then look for the video files - they will either be in AVCHD directory structure, or they may be stand alone .ts or .mts or .m2ts files (or something similar). If they are stand alone files, like .ts or .mts, etc. and not deep into a directory structure then download a program called Handbrake ( HandBrake ) and you should be able to use it to transcode the video from the default format into a more apple friendly mp4 format.

iLife supports AVCHD only thru iMovie AFAIK where they expect you to use iMovie to edit your footage then export into a final product.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Program for converting video format | FASTEST way to split a video file in half and save as two »