New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Which video cameras are compatible with the aluminum macbook and FCP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nicodeema

nicodeema is on a distinguished road

I'm looking to purchase a digital video camera to import video to final cut pro on the aluminum macbook. I bought this Macbook a year ago and am kicking myself for getting one without firewire.

I've heard that final cut pro cannot capture video through USB 2.0. Is this true in all cases, or only if the camera uses firewire?

In the past I have only worked with mini-dv. I'm open to getting any kind of camera as long as the quality isn't too horrible, but it doesn't have to be great. I'm more concerned with having the ability to do fairly complicated things with editing (cutting and pasting video collage) Final cut pro is the only program I've used where this was possible.

I realize that Mac got rid of the firewire port because they said USB 2.0 was becoming the new standard for consumer cameras, but exactly what cameras are these and can you use FCP to edit?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Macintosh: Camcorder Support

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

You, can, but you can't - you can't capture video recorded on tape via USB, but on camcorders that utilize SD cards or HDD for storage, you can use usb to transfer the video. If it's recorded in AVCHD, you can use Log and Transfer function of FCP to transfer and transcode the video into your project in one step (this may also work for some other recorded formats, but as I only currently use a camcorder using AVCHD, I haven't researched it any further).

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to make visualization that sync to audio (eg. itunes visualizer) | AVI to TV Screen Issues »