New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

How to use idvd?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ksucat

ksucat is on a distinguished road

First of all I want to say hello. As you can see I'm a noob here and this is my first post. I know I'll be a regular here beacuse I'm new to Macs and have lots of questions so please be kind. I decided to buy a MAC G6 because I have a ton of VHS home movies I want to convert to DVDs.
My proplem at present is I can't get a file I have in imove to idvd so I can burn it. The documentation I have is so unclear. All it tells me is to click on share and pull file off hard drive in idvd. Not having any luck with that. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Hi!

Welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure what Mac you might have (in the G series Macs, there are G3's, G4's, G5's but no G6.)

You can either export the movie from iMovie then import into iDVD, or you can use the media browser function - if you go to share, select media browser, you can use that to save your footage, then within idvd, when you create your project, look at the dropdown on the right of the main screen for iDVD for iMovie, find your project listing there, select it and find your footage (this will only work after you do the share/media browser option in iMovie, otherwise iDVD will show a message showing that no footage has been shared) then you can drag your movie into the menu you are creating on the left of the window in iDVD.

iMovie 09 and iDVD 09 may offer more options of communication between the two apps for a given project.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

ksucat, you first have to get your information correctly posted here. I'll have to assume you are running some version of OS X.

For your computer, click on the Apple logo in the upper left hand corner and select 'About This Mac'. A window will pop up stating the version of OS X you are using, and the processor and memory you have. Write that down for us. Now click on the 'More Info...' button and an application called System Profiler will open up. Likely you'll be looking at the top level of the Hardware section. What does the 'Model Name' say?

When you have iMovie open, click on 'About iMovie' under the iMovie menu item. What is the title and what is reported just under the title in the small window that pops up? Mine says "iMovie '09" and "version 8.0.5 (820)". Do the same for iDVD.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
ksucat

ksucat is on a distinguished road

Thanks xstep for the suggestion. It is greatly appreciated. Here is the info I found.
I have mac OS X version 10.4.11
Processor 1.83 Ghz core duo
Memory 2 GB 667 MHz
Model ID Mac mini 1.1
IMovie HD 6.0.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
Hi!

Welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure what Mac you might have (in the G series Macs, there are G3's, G4's, G5's but no G6.)

You can either export the movie from iMovie then import into iDVD, or you can use the media browser function - if you go to share, select media browser, you can use that to save your footage, then within idvd, when you create your project, look at the dropdown on the right of the main screen for iDVD for iMovie, find your project listing there, select it and find your footage (this will only work after you do the share/media browser option in iMovie, otherwise iDVD will show a message showing that no footage has been shared) then you can drag your movie into the menu you are creating on the left of the window in iDVD.

iMovie 09 and iDVD 09 may offer more options of communication between the two apps for a given project.
Nethfel- Your suggestion was a BIG help. My instructions do not say anything about exporting, just sharing files. Once exported, all went well.
Thanks for you help!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksucat View Post
Thanks xstep for the suggestion. It is greatly appreciated. Here is the info I found.
I have mac OS X version 10.4.11
Processor 1.83 Ghz core duo
Memory 2 GB 667 MHz
Model ID Mac mini 1.1
IMovie HD 6.0.3
Looks like you have an early generation Mac mini.

That version of iMovie has a Share menu with an iDVD option under it. That is suppose to allow you to send your project to iDVD which should open and have a menu item setup for your movie. (There is the ability to share only selected clips too, but I've never used that option.)

The Share-->iDVD may take a while, just like the export option would because your project gets converted to something iDVD can read and then convert to MPEG2 for the DVD you will be creating. When that last conversion occurs depends on some settings in iDVD. Depending on the Project settings, it may occur while you are working on your DVD setup, or when you tell iDVD to create a DVD.

If you're going to use the QuickTime export option, choose the Full Quality mode for DVDs, or as you get more experienced, you can try the Expert Settings.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
dr dave

dr dave is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (late 2008), OS 10.6.2, FCE 4.0.1, CS 1

Look at my profile, to the left. It is there because it is useful to responders if/when I ask a question. I recommend you describe your system in your profile. That makes it appear automatically when you post.

"The government has no money except what is confiscated from the people." M. Freidman
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IMovie themes ? | How much memory needed for 50" vid? »