New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Connect Macbook to Direct Tv HD DVR

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Independence

Independence is on a distinguished road

I'm sure this has been talked about before. I need to know if this is possible.
Living in Northern Michigan I have access to free WIFI through from what appears to be Linksys router. I would like to know how I can hook my MB to the Direct TV HD DVR so I can access the On-Demand programing using this free WIFI.

I know that downloading may take awhile and thats okay. I also have an Airport Extreme if needed. i am not very tech savvy so I need instructions that a non tech person can understand. The MB is OS X 10.5.8
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

"free" WIFi? from what "appears" to be a Linksys router?

In other words, stealing WIFI from one of your neighbors that doesn't know any better than to run an unencrypted wireless network?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Independence

Actually, Living next to the county building which offers free public Wifi has its benefits.
No stealing involved.
QUOTE Thanks
triroketman

triroketman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 3.06 GHZ C2D 4GB ram OS X 10.6.2 21.5' monitor

It is my understanding that you can either run an ethernet cable directly to your router to access On Demand Video. Or you can buy a wifi unit to attach to your Direct TV DVR. I don't think attaching your MacBook to the DVR is going to do you any good.
Dave
QUOTE Thanks
Independence

Quote:
Originally Posted by triroketman View Post
It is my understanding that you can either run an ethernet cable directly to your router to access On Demand Video. Or you can buy a wifi unit to attach to your Direct TV DVR. I don't think attaching your MacBook to the DVR is going to do you any good.
Dave
I understand that I can attach with a ethernet cable but only if I have a wired access to the internet. My problem is I have access to free wifi and am trying to hook the DVR through the MB so that I can access the free wifi for On Demand.

I guess I am trying to make the MB a Wifi booster.....
QUOTE Thanks
bigbadjohn

bigbadjohn is on a distinguished road

Direct TV told me their On Demand service is not available for Mac users, it is only set up for Microsoft OS users
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadjohn View Post
Direct TV told me their On Demand service is not available for Mac users, it is only set up for Microsoft OS users
The computer your using is irrelevant. The On Demand service is available via an ethernet cable connecting your router to the DVR unit. You could use a Commodore 64 as your personal computer and DirecTV wouldn't know the difference.

You cannot connect to the DVR via WiFi. I imagine it would be possible to use a wireless router w/ ethernet ports as a WiFi extender, and then run a cable to the DVR. But there's no way your going to connect to the DVR without plugging an ethernet cable into the back of the unit.
QUOTE Thanks
Independence

I understand that you need to hard wire the DVR to the PC or the wireless router...I need to know how to configure my MB and if needed the Airport Extreme so that I can hard wire it to the DVR.

Has anybody done this using a MacBook and or Airport Extreme?
QUOTE Thanks
stwb

stwb is on a distinguished road

Hi Independence, you may be interested in looking at the 'Internet Sharing' option of OS X.

It may be what you are after, most people share their interent with an Xbox plugged into their Mac using this option. It may work for what you are trying to acheive.

There's some info here:

Sharing Internet access with Apple's MacBook's AirPort - Mac OS X
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« video converter | Mac to PC tv shows [iTunes] »