New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

iMovie 09 import problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jmullenberg

jmullenberg will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.5 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 MHz DDR2, 17" Hi-Res Display ; iPhone 3G 2.1

I have a JVC HD Camera that takes video in a .tod format. I then use visual hub to convert them to an mpeg format (1440 x 810 MPEG2 Muxed). Once they are converted I am able to import the clips into iMovie by placing them in a .dmg and using the import from camera option in iMovie. After being imported into iMovie they end up in a .mov format (1440 x 1080 MPEG-2 SD Camcorder, Integer (Little Endian), Timecode).

Eveery once in a while i have some clips that crash iMovie during the import process, or others that import fine but lose the audio stream. I am able to play these files without any problem in QT Pro, and I have been able to export them from QT Pro using the Apple Intermidiate Codec (1440 x 1080) / Integer (Little Endian), and then import them into iMovie without any problems. However, after the conversion in QT Pro i end up with files approx. 3 times the size of the original file. This ends up being quite a disk space hog when dealing with orignal files around 3.5 GB that end up being around 11 GB after the conversion.

Is there a better export setting i could use in QT Pro, that will result in smaller file sizes without sacrificing much quality, and still be able to import into iMovie?

"Sure, I could compare PCs to Macs. But I make it a point to never argue about religion."
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

If you want HD, no. HD on iMovie uses AIC - AIC is very cpu friendly in terms of processing power to be able to play and edit, but it requires a significant amount of space.

The only way to get the files smaller would be to use SD or to do the 960x540 route (if I recall correctly on the import options).

Look at it this way - if you were using FCP, you'd be using ProRes, which compared to compressed formats, it's between like 6 and 10 times the original file size.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Mia Yuan

Mia Yuan is on a distinguished road

I think FCP only supports the HD Camcorders that are listed on it's website.. You probably need to uninstall perian (if you had )first because most of the cases FCP crashes because of incompatible with perian.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia Yuan View Post
I think FCP only supports the HD Camcorders that are listed on it's website.
Those are cameras Apple has tested. Others do work but are not on the list.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with Final Cut Pro | Apple imovie 09 / Cutaway issue »