New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Panasonic HD Camcorder and Software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lorraineA

lorraineA is on a distinguished road

Wonder if any one can help?

We wish to purchase a camcorder for our sons Make A Wish trip but I am unsure if this will be compatiable with my imac. The software it comes with is just PC format.

Is there another way/software etc that I can use to create DVD's from the camcorder direct? The camcorder uses an SDHC/SD Memory Card as recording media.

Please help

Thank you in advance.

L
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Does the camcorder record in AVCHD? What model Panasonic camcorder are you looking at? What kind of Mac do you have (intel, PPC)? What version OSX do you have? Do you have iMovie and iDVD installed? Do you have Final Cut Express? More info is needed about your current hardware/software situation to help you adequately

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
lorraineA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
Does the camcorder record in AVCHD? What model Panasonic camcorder are you looking at? What kind of Mac do you have (intel, PPC)? What version OSX do you have? Do you have iMovie and iDVD installed? Do you have Final Cut Express? More info is needed about your current hardware/software situation to help you adequately
Thank you Nethfel, below are the details.

OSX Version -10.5.8

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Panasonic Camcorder - HDC-SD10

iMovie '09 - YES
iDVD - YES
Final Cut - NO
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Ok,

Good news is - you don't need any additional software Better news is, that camera is on Apples site for supported cameras (in both PAL and NTSC, don't know where you're located, but either format you're covered)

See: iMovie ?09: Camcorder Support

It does make a mention a couple caveats (although at least one of the issues applies to many camcorders that use CMOS sensors with rolling shutters - if you scroll down on the Apple page linked above, you can find your camcorder and any notes Apple mentions)

With that camcorder, what you'd do is in iMovie you'd import the footage - you can either connect the camcorder to the comp via USB, or take the SDHC card out and put it into a card reader. Do not attempt to manually extract the video files from the AVCHD format and use them - use Apples import feature. If you need to learn more about it - launch iMovie click on help and search for AVCHD, one of the first links will talk about how to handle mass storage based recording devices.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
lorraineA

Thank you so much for you help, it is much appreciated

L
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Switching macs | Are There any programs similar to adobe after effect for mac? »