New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Switching macs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CCtheKoala

CCtheKoala is on a distinguished road

I am currently using the macs on my college's computer lab. My problem is when work on my iMovie project in one Mac and save the project to my flash drive, I cannot edit the iMovie Project in another Mac. It will only show up as a final project, not the way I saved it on the previous Mac. Can you please tell me what to do?
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

This one I think will probably be better answered by XStep or one of the other iMovie experts in the forum. If I were to *guess* at the problem (and I really do mean guess) I'd imagine that not all of the project resources are there - I think when you save, it's just saving the EDL as opposed to all of the project files. You could try going back to the Mac where you know all of the footage is, etc. - get the project opened, save it to the mac HD, then copy the entire project folder (making sure you get all of the source footage) off and see if that works. Even then you may need to copy the entire project folder back over to the new mac in the appropriate location for iMovie to work.

I'm sure this doesn't help too much, but maybe it might help you try something at least until one of the iMovie experts get on here and can give you better guidance.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Refer to the attached picture for the following...

If you see at lease one white square (upper right, four squares), those are items you have used the Share menu on that get written to the project folder, so you can actually play them. It seems items shared to iTunes are placed in a sub-folder of a folder named 'iMovie Sharing'. I haven't clearly figured out the sharing fully.

If you see a yellow marker (lower left), that means you do not have access to the assets. You'll need to copy the appropriate files from the 'iMovie Events' folder. If you haven't shared the video, the preview window will be black with text near the center that says 'Source clip is missing'. Also, you will not be able to find it in the 'Event Library' pane.

If the assets of the project are not in the events folder, like from iPhoto or else where, I think you'll want them always on your USB drive. I haven't found a way for iMovie to re-aquire some assets such as items dragged in to it.

Check out this response regarding the layout and my thoughts at the time.

P.S. When I tried a USB stick, iMovie didn't want to see it. I'm not sure why. Perhaps a speed issue?
Attached Images
File Type: png FinderScreenSnapz001.png (24.9 KB, 1 views)

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Xvid | Panasonic HD Camcorder and Software »