New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

mpg files no longer play in QT on Snow Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

judvard

judvard is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I'll try and give a brief synopsis of my issue.

Since updating to Snow Leopard, mpgs will not play in QT 7 or QT X. Specifically, the mpgs that won't play are H.264 and AC3 in mpeg 2 format (excuse my terminology if it is incorrect).

When I say they won't play; in Quicktime 7 the application will launch (but not bounce on the dock) and eventually load a window playing as if it was a silent mp3 and then start not responding. In Quicktime X it will report "The document *.mpg could not be opened" or indicates a system error "The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error -12710.)" this has 0 hits on Google.

I have tried reinstalling Perian, my Quicktime Mpeg2 component and both versions of Quicktime to no avail.

These files will still play fine in VLC, and on my Playstation 3 but will not load properly in Mpeg Streamclip. As a side note, I only noticed this problem when trying to create a reference version of the file to iTunes using VideoDrive.

This is driving me insane!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Not sure what's happening there. I had similar issues with QuickTime X after upgrading to SL until I remembered needing to install the QuickTime MPEG Playback Component. You've already tried that though so unless the install did not proceed properly.

If I have any files like that I will give it a try and see if I get the same results.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
judvard

judvard is on a distinguished road

Yes, it is strange! What is stranger is that I didn't need to use the Mpeg 2 component before SL. I suppose Perian covered those codecs?
QUOTE Thanks
ralphmorgan

ralphmorgan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 iMac10,1 w/Mountain Lion 10.9.2 Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, 4GB RAM, 4S iPhone with upgrades

I recently converted from Windows XP to Mac Snow Leopard. None of my MPEG-2 videos would play. So I bought the QT MPEG playback component and the videos play allright but the AC3 audio does not. Now I don't know if the QT pro will play the video and audio or not. So don't buy the QT MPEG player, but if you want one cheap I will send you mine. I wish I could go back to before I bought the Mac and just got a new PC with Windows 7. I know the stress would not be this bad and I would have saved $1000. Who can save my sanity and judvard's and tell us how to play our MPEG videos and with sound. I downloaded the Flip4Mac and can play .wmv videos and with sound. Someone help! Thanks so much.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Have you tried VLC ????
You can get HERE

It plays pretty much any audio and movie format there is on this planet
Enjoy

Description
VLC Media Player is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
ralphmorgan

ralphmorgan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 iMac10,1 w/Mountain Lion 10.9.2 Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.06 GHz, 4GB RAM, 4S iPhone with upgrades

Downloaded VLC. Couldn't be happier with it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« need a Mac that can handle a "ton" of video and photo editing | Burning a dvd movie »