New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

need a Mac that can handle a "ton" of video and photo editing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

loki50187

loki50187 is on a distinguished road

So my father asked me to find him a computer that can handle a ton of video and photo editing. All his friends said get a mac, and so here I am. I know nothing about mac hardware or software. I would appreciate some suggestions on what I should get. Basically he as a bunch of VHS and 8mm tapes that need to be put on dvd. Some slight editing may need to be done. Also some pictures that need to be scanned in and tagged in numerous ways. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks....
QUOTE Thanks
mgsfan18

mgsfan18 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation

I would go to a mac store and look at the new imac's with snow leopard. I'm not sure about how they sell them but last time I was in a mac store they had 2 versions for each monitor size. I regular version and a gaming version. Every imac comes with ilife which should help you with editing. As far as getting VHS and 8mm tapes to DVD's you will need to buy a application and converter box.

If there really is A LOT then I would recommend getting the 27 inch model since it comes with quad-core Intel Core i5 or Core i7

I would imagine that the i5 is the basic 27 inch and i7 is the gaming version but the i5 should do fine to me.

Hope I could help. Really going to the apple store is the best the employees of the apple stores I have been to are very knowledgeable and have asked me what I am looking for the second I enter the store.

A man who is not one for words once told me...
QUOTE Thanks
loki50187

Well iMac it is then. Thank you very much for the info.
QUOTE Thanks
mgsfan18

mgsfan18 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation

Not a problem thats why Im here.

A man who is not one for words once told me...
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

To convert VHS and 8mm tapes you'll need an analog converter. If you search the forum for 'vhs analog conversion' you'll likely find many hits. I and others have used an Elgato Hybrid TV tuner because it also has an analog input. They also make just a converter.

For scanning pictures, you'll of course want to get a scanner if you don't already have one. I don't have any particular recommendation.

iPhoto comes with the Mac and is easy to use to tag and do basic editing of photos. iMovie also comes with a new mac and is great for basic editing. After doing basic video editing in iMovie, you can easily get it on to a DVD by exporting to iDVD.

A Mac mini can handle these duties just fine.

This is a friendly place for people with questions.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
loki50187

Thank you so much xstep. I was digging all over the internets today trying to find a good solution for getting media on the Mac. The Elgato is exactly what I was looking for with some extra bells and whistles. +1 to your awesome stat.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Elgato has the 'Video Capture' and Roxio has the 'Easy VHS to DVD'. A short comparison is at Macworld.

Black Magic Design has the 'Blackmagic Video Recorder'. Here is a basic review.

Pinnacle USB products tend to get poor reviews.

There are more expensive products that use sync information. Sorry, I can't recall the terminology right now.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
loki50187

Yeah I looked at one of the Pinnacle products. Wasn't to impressed by what people where saying. I will check out the others you suggested. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how do I change background, I have iMovie and Final Cut Pro | mpg files no longer play in QT on Snow Leopard »