New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Fustrated with video formats

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kosmo

Kosmo is on a distinguished road

Okay I filmed a whole bunch of stuff today and put it all on my mac and there all .MOD files. Now alot of them are split to. i want to put them on facebook and youtube, and some of them I need to put together to make one video. So I need to convert and combine some.. I really dont wanna pay for anything to do this i need some good free programs ive tried sooo many ive found on google and noting works out
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

MACyMouse has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs

Filmed with what? Can you change the settings on your video camera to save them as .mov or .avi?

Did your video camera come with software to convert the .mod files? Otherwise I've never heard of a .mod format
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Judging by the extension - the worst camera made for video editors - a JVC Everio (or other JVC hard drive or ssd model).

If it were me, if the camera is within return period, send it back and get one that records in an industry standard format rather then a company standard format. I don't want to sound mean, but of all of the HD camcorders out there, you got the one that is one of the most Mac unfriendly units.

You can give mpegstreamclip a try. From what I understand it work on the windows side, so the Mac version of Mpegstreamclip may work for mod files too. Honestly, no one really likes to work with mod files

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
jerry2090

jerry2090 is on a distinguished road

MPEG Streamclip does work quite well. Also, I found that when I connect my Everio and open the files in iMovie directly, the clips download easily into iMovie. If I connect the camera and just drag the .mod files to a folder on my desktop, I have to convert them with MPEG. Strange.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Well, you are not suppose to be dragging the .mod files off of the camera. You are suppose to be using your editor to communicate with the camera.

You may be able to create a disk image and drag ALL of the cameras files there. iMovie would then see the mounted disk image as a mounted camera drive. You use Disk Utility to create such disk images.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
Chris@JVC

Chris@JVC is on a distinguished road

I work for JVC and would like to try to help.

Actually, JVC is one of the easiest camcorders to use with any recent Apple computer. Please note that .mod files are not unique to JVC are used by several other camcorder manufacturers. The .mod file is really a pretty common method to store standard definition video on the new generation of hard drive and flash memory camcorders.

I have a few tips that may help you, and the good news is that there is probably nothing you have to buy.

Both Apple iMovie '08 and iMovie '09 support JVC (and other manufacturers) .mod files. I can't speak for other brands, but with JVC it is completely automatic. In fact, it is basically a "plug & play" process.

As someone else posted, it is important to use the right method to bring your videos into the computer, which generally means you do that through your editing program, not by simply copying the files from your camcorder to your hard drive.

Here's how to do it:

First, you need to connect your camcorder to your computer via USB. Then, you open your iMovie software. From there, iMovie will recognize the JVC camcorder, and you will get a capture windows which will show you a thumbnail picture representing each clip of video which is recorded on your camcorder.

You can select any individual scene, or everything on the hard drive, and it will be imported to iMovie. From there, editing is easy, and it is very simple to chose how you want to share your video, including uploading to sites like You Tube or Facebook.

It really is this simple. If you have an older version of iMovie, it is worthwhile to upgrade. If your computer is old enough that it is not possible to upgrade to iMovie '08 or iMovie '09, then you either need to look at a new computer, or you can look at one of the file conversion programs that will take a .mod file and turn it into a different format. Using Pixela Capty software to creat a DV format file would be my recommendation, but that is a lot more time consuming.

If you would like any additional info, please post the specific camcorder model # that you have.

I hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

appreciate you popping in Chris

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Chris has been spreading him self around the net lately. Hopefully he can help the JVC users who are having issues.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sony Handycam not Recognized by Macbook Pro | need an app that can handle Sony M2TS files »