New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

iMovie Export Sound Issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Naz

Naz is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys

Really sorry if this has been posted before but I couldn't find anything similar.

I am running iMovie '09 (v.8.0.5[820]) on a 300GB iMac and have created an iMovie project of a snowboarding holiday we had with some friends.

The project runs really well in iMovie and I was really excited to export/share it so I could burn a DVD using iDVD.

Unfortunately 5 of the 20 chapters export with distorted sound. By this I mean that the resultant files seem to play ok until the 4th chapter which plays as per the project but with an EXTRA layer of audio from other scenes within the project. As I say all other audio plays fine but just with this extra audio in the background.

Which reminds me, in 'Share' I have tried sharing with iDVD, itunes and Media Browser as well as 'export movie' with the same end result (same places).

Thanks

Naz
QUOTE Thanks
Naz

Naz is on a distinguished road

can anyone please help?
QUOTE Thanks
Curtiscomposer

Curtiscomposer is on a distinguished road

I'm curious about whether you ever found a solution. I'm having exactly the same problem: Fragments of displaced audio are randomly overlaid over the correct audio when exporting from iMovie '09 to iDVD or any other format. I'm on a 2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon MacPro with OS 10.5.8 In a rather desperate situation with a professional deadline and a project that is held hostage to this glitch...
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

This is a new one. I don't recall ever hearing of random audio overlap.

Are all of the source video of identical specifications; same video and audio codecs and if so, is the the audio specs identical in frequency, etc? Perhaps some difference is throwing a kink into the wheel.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
Curtiscomposer

Yes - the video is all of the same type: MPEG-4, which was ripped/converted from DVD using Handbrake. The Audio is all AIFF files synced up with the video. It plays back perfectly with no glitches in iMovie, but the glitches are a constant in any format I export to, and always in the same places. Extremely odd and frustrating...
QUOTE Thanks
Curtiscomposer

For anyone who is interested, I'm just posting again to say that I never did find a solution to this problem. I tried exporting just shorter segments of the project (by duplicating the project and deleting much of each duplicate, just to experiment) and found that the problem was less (fewer audio overlays), but still too constant to make it viable. I'm switching to iMovie 06 and will have to redo all of my edits, probably about 2 straight days of work. I also found that there is another reason to abandon iMovie 09 for this project: I hadn't noticed before, but now I can see that the use of imported DV video in iMovie 09 drastically reduces the picture quality, whereas iMovie 06 looks great. Curious to know if anyone else has had these issues and has ever found a solution other than back-tracking to iMovie 06 and starting over!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Regarding the quality, perhaps this Apple thread identifies what you are seeing.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

QUOTE Thanks
Curtiscomposer

Thanks xstep - Yes the Apple thread definitely concerns the same problem I am having with the DV video. The audio issue remains a mystery. It seems that there is no good solution other than to start over with iMovie 06...
QUOTE Thanks
xxpb

xxpb is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I'm new to mac and recently bought an iMac. I was quite happy until I tried to burn a dvd (after working all together 30 hours on an iMovie project) and noticed the same sound issues as described above. So iMovies 09 is not usable is it ? Can I install iMovies 06 on my iMac (snowleopard) ? Would final cut express be the solution ? I find all of this quite disappointing for my first steps with mac...
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

I've had good luck so can't add more.

Yes im06/HD will work on SL.

QUOTE Thanks
Halfcircles

Halfcircles is on a distinguished road

I've spent around 40 hours producing a Wedding video for a friend using iMovie 09. Now I'm running into the same issues when exporting my video.

As Curtiscomposer explained it: "Fragments of displaced audio are randomly overlaid over the correct audio when exporting from iMovie '09 to iDVD or any other format."

This is very frustrating. I'm new to macs myself, and so far, I've sworn by iM09, but I'm flabbergasted now because of this. It plays perfectly inside of the iM09 software.

It seems as if the audio has become out of sync with the video in some spots also. Please please post if you've found a work around for this.

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
michaelraiwet

michaelraiwet is on a distinguished road

When the **** is this problem going to be solved? As far as I know this issue has been acknowledged since last February! Get your crap together Apple!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Most people using iMovie 09 (that would be millions of people) are not experiencing the issue. Have you checked the support forums for iMovie 09 at apple.com? I'd check there to see if a solution has been found.
QUOTE Thanks
SNEfan

SNEfan is on a distinguished road

Hey guys

I found this thread and I am so happy to hear that I am not the only one having this problem. I have tried exporting a movie and run in to the exact same issues: The sound is moved around, so that at some stages I will have two soundlayers running on top of each other whereas I at other times will have no sound at all. It appears as if all the sound is present - it is just not playing at the right time.

From another forum I read the advice to free some storage room as iMovie needs 15-20GB to run smoothly.

How does it look for you guys? Are you short on free space on the harddrive?

EDIT:

Okay so after I posted last night I tried freeing up some space. I ended up with around 16+GB of free space. I then tried to export the video in a lower resolution (medium rather than large - for 20 minutes of video approx 225MB rather than 549MB). Nothing had changed.

The sound was still scrambled and doubled over in the exact same places as before.

This really bothers me. If it was just random it would have been one thing, but it is the same clips and the same times that seem to go wrong every time.

Anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

A good amount of free space is recommended for the system as a whole and extra for application demands at the time, but unless the programmers where trying to be extra smart, I can't imagine the audio issue is due to short storage issues. I would expect iMovie to generate an error and stop processing. Not corrupt the output.

Out of personal curiosity I'd like to see what the solution is.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What Conversion Do i Need To Watch DVDs ??? | MackBook Pro 13" or 15" for best Video Editing Performance »