New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Budget green screen - where to get material?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dante2004

Dante2004 is on a distinguished road

I've been reading about the topic "green screen on a budget" and would like to start doing this kind of work. I have Final Cut Pro and have looked at several tutorials that show you how to do the chroma keying...I just don't have a "green screen".

Several people have suggested using a green fabric. Great...

The problem is that I am having a hard time finding fabric that is wider than ~4 feet. Any ideas? I've gone to fabric stores like Jo-Anns fabric, etc. After looking at me weird, they can't help much. They don't have anything wide enough. Ideally I am looking for something 6-8 feet wide so that I can stand in front of the wall and move around a little bit, rather than just sit in a chair or remain stationary.

Maybe use a bed sheet?

I lease my house, so I can't paint the wall - that was my next idea.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Just done a Google on green screen on a budget and got millions of results.

If you can't get the fabric locally then you need to either look further away from home or order something online. I imagine that both will be the same sort of cost due to postage costs online.

If you can find a bed sheet that is dark enough and not see-through then that would work. Of course, you can use a the blue colour for the chroma key as well.

If you want to do this on a budget then fabric is going to be your best option I'm afraid...
QUOTE Thanks
Dante2004

Yeah...I've done google searches also. Most of what I find focuses more on how to work with the software, etc., not the actual SOURCE of the material.

You read "get a piece of green material" or "paint the wall green"...

Great. I can't paint the wall and I WOULD go buy the fabric if I could find a place. I prefer to buy in person so that I can see the actual color of the material. Unless of course it was specifically designed for this purpose and I could trust the color selection, but then it would probably cost a fortune.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Why can't you buy multiple pieces of fabric and then just sew them together?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Dante2004

That is a possiblity, but I was concerned about how the seam would show up.

Maybe that is the way to go...hoping to get some feedback on that from people who have done it.

Then again, I don't know how to sew... I guess I would have to pay to have someone do that. But if that's the way to go, then I'll go that route.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« uprezzing SD into HD in FCE? | Mac Mini/Canon HF200 compatible? »