New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

uprezzing SD into HD in FCE?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ravag

ravag is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I have shot a video in 720x576 which I'd like to upscale to 1440x1880.
Is it possible to do that? What are the alternatives?
I have found mixed information on the net and I really would like some urgent advice as it is for a client and deadline is approaching...The video is for the web and I edit in FC Express.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

You should be able to - create a sequence that's the rez you want it to be at and drop in your footage - if it doesn't fill the frame they way you want, then expand it out to the frame edges. Just make sure to not let FCE resize the sequence settings to match the footage, otherwise it'll reset it back down to the video source size.

Other options include using mpegstreamclip to upscale it to the appropriate resolution.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
ravag

ravag is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your quick reply.
By following your advice, wouldn't it mean just changing the frame size? What I need is to improve the resolution into a HD video.
I have heard about a software called Red Giant instant HD. Is that any good?

Tks!
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

When you have a sequence that is an HD settings - 1440x1080 in your case, then you place the footage on the sequence, and stretch the footage to fit in the new frame size, you're resizing the footage to the new HD frame size. The quality of the output will depend on several factors, including how well the conversion process used by FCE can handle upsizing, and the quality of the source footage (ie: if the source looks like crap, an HD upscale will look like very large crap).

Other tools, specialized tools for scaling video will most likely provide higher quality results, as I feel pretty confident that FCE will have very few controls over the algorithms used in the upscaling. But, as you're I'm sure on a budget, and on a time crunch, using FCE or using mpegstreamclip are probably your 2 most convenient options.

Also, I can't directly comment on how well the final output will be as I never go up, only down when I resize my footage.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

since its for the web, you can get away with upscaling SD to HD. Compression will take care of any artifacting upscaling will produce.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DVD Help | Budget green screen - where to get material? »