New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Burning movies to DVD...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

I need a faster way. I'm using iDVD right now, and it's using 150%+ of my CPU and says it's going to take over 2 hours to encode. Is there another app I can get that will create DVDs from other formats like .avi etc. much faster and use less CPU? If the quality on iDVD is excellent, I think I can put up with the long times, but if not I definitely want to find another way. FYI - I have the quality on professional quality for the current burn session only because I had to cut down on the timestamp. Thanks.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Remember to use the Reputation System!
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2012 Non-retina MBP, 2.6GHz i7, 8GB RAM, Antiglare Screen

Transcoding is NEVER a fast process and is usually a fairly highly cpu intensive process. In the case of encoding your DVD, you're transcoding AVI files into mpeg2 video files and appropriate audio files (either pcm or ac3, I don't know which iDVD outputs off hand). It's even worse if your video has to be resized to SD resolution (ie: if you had HD source footage).

Unfortunately, iDVD isn't designed to take in pre-transcoded video AFAIK, which means your stuck with its built in transcoder - you *might* get better performance if the original file was different (like a .MOV) but I honestly don't know if that would make any difference to the transcoder - but some containers and codecs do take more work to transcode then others.

The only way around this is to use a different tool to author your DVDs (like Moviegate or DVD Studio Pro). The negative with one of these other tools is they are either more complex (Studio Pro) or don't have near the quantity and appearance of the pre-built themes (Moviegate).

My Macs: 2012 Non-Retina 15" MBP; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

So basically you're saying the performance I'm seeing from iDVD is about normal and other programs would be about the same with a few trade-offs. I did like the quality of the movie that was converted and created with iDVD and so I think I can put up with it's long time and high CPU usage. Thanks for the input.

QUOTE Thanks
Guavaboy

Guavaboy is on a distinguished road

Anyone know a really good burning software for Mac OS X???
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guavaboy View Post
Anyone know a really good burning software for Mac OS X???
Did you read any of the posts in this thread at all?

QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2012 Non-retina MBP, 2.6GHz i7, 8GB RAM, Antiglare Screen

Another one you could try (I didn't think of off hand at the time) is Burn, it's free, doesn't have the flashy menus but it will author - and it might even transcode faster.

But in response to you ImageX - when it comes to transcoding, unless it's really short, I usually reserve that task to my Mac Pro (I use DVD Studio Pro and Compressor - compressor to transcode the video from .mov Pro Res to mpeg2 and AC3, then DVD Studio Pro to author the DVD) and even then it can take a while (I usually transcode 1080i or 720p to SD mpeg2/AC3 for DVD... The more cores, faster cpu, more ram you have the faster your transcodes will go (this is assuming the software that transcodes supports multiple cores)

My Macs: 2012 Non-Retina 15" MBP; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
coral

coral is on a distinguished road

can someone please tell me how to get ant video graber
QUOTE Thanks
decoman

decoman is on a distinguished road

what do you guys do if using idvd and the movie needs to span more than one disk. i am trying to burn a AVI file so I can watch it on my dvd player (doesn't support divx) but it is longer than 120 minutes I don't want to lose quality if thats how its done

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lagarith video question | Streaming Video via USB? »