New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

What types of digital cameras work with macs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rockmetalr

rockmetalr is on a distinguished road

ok i know people reading this will say any type will work but let me specify. my brother has a sony digital camera i connected it to my laptop to see some videos and it wont let me. The file type is not recognized. So christmas is coming soon so im going to ask for a digital camera. Now what i want to know is what type should i get that records in a format that i don't have to convert? im not looking for a specific one if you want to go ahead up to you. But i just need to know what format a certain camera needs to record so i dont have to go through video coversions and can just edit my videos when i connect a camera. hope this made sense. Im off to bed but i will check responses tomorrow. hopefully someone answers
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have never really owned a Sony Digital Camera. What is the format? Do you know?

All I know is my Canon saves all movies in AVI and with Perian installed on OSX, all the videos I shoot play just fine.

EDIT: I just searched in Google and everything I saw said Sony's videos are in MP4. Do you have Perian installed in OSX? Every OSX user that wants to play most any video on the net should have both Perian and Flip4Mac installed.
QUOTE Thanks
mbohn

mbohn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmetalr View Post
ok i know people reading this will say any type will work but let me specify. my brother has a sony digital camera i connected it to my laptop to see some videos and it wont let me. The file type is not recognized. So christmas is coming soon so im going to ask for a digital camera. Now what i want to know is what type should i get that records in a format that i don't have to convert? im not looking for a specific one if you want to go ahead up to you. But i just need to know what format a certain camera needs to record so i dont have to go through video coversions and can just edit my videos when i connect a camera. hope this made sense. Im off to bed but i will check responses tomorrow. hopefully someone answers
I've got an old Sony camera DSC-P51 (with a whopping 2 megapixels) that works fine on my MBP. I plug it in and iPhoto pops up downloads my new photos and offers to erase them from the camera. (I've yet to figure out where iPhoto stashes my photos, but that's a different issue!)

www.dynostep.com
engine simulation software
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I have an older Sony DSC-P200 which produces a 640x480 image. The videos are viewable but the audio has given me problems when editing, so I have to convert the file. I think I used MPEG Streamclip for this. The reason for the 'fix' is because these files are MPEG1 Muxed.

Newer cameras, like Canon's PowerShot SD980 IS, use the H.264 codec so usually are compatible with a Mac. I'm not sure of the container file (.mov, .avi, .mp4) it uses. I think iMovie will convert the file.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
rockmetalr

forget my last post now i remember what the problem was. Viewing was not the problem editing them on iMovie was the problem. The file type that the sony uses for VIDEOS is MPEG and for some reason iMovie wont let me edit them i plugged in my camera and clicked import and look for filed to import but they are like unclickable i see them but the writing is like clear almost indicating that the format doesnt work with iMovie i guess. So thats what my problem is thats why i was asking what type of Digital Camera do i need to get so that once i have movies i can edit them on iMovie without a problem. I tried converting the video i had with handbrake and it would not let me it quit on me unexpectadly is there any other program i could use with Snow Leopard i got 3.06 mghz 4 ram if it helps. What format would i need to convert it to to view on iMovie i tried changing it to a quicktime format but that didn't work either. but if no other programs what type of camera should i get besides canon i guess with avi if that works with iMovie. Please dont over look this and not answer i tried searching past posts couldnt find one to help me if you got one just paste link or something
QUOTE Thanks
rockmetalr

nvm used streamclip converted my files to DV and now can import them and edit them on iMovie wooo
QUOTE Thanks
rdsii64

rdsii64 is on a distinguished road

Take this with a grain of salt since I have only been using a mac for a few months. I have never seen a digital camera ( still or video) that would not work with a mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apps to handle video files. | imovie and flash video. »