New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Substitute for Flip4Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Slrman

Slrman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac, 266 GHz, 4GB RAM

I'm having a problem with the developers o Flip4Mac. I bought the program earlier this year, then downloaded a couple of upgrades. When I downloaded Version 2.3.0.14, which said nothing about additional fees, I found that, to avoid a watermark on videos converted with Quicktime 7.0, or QT 10, Final Cut Express, or even iMovie I have to pay an additional $29.95. So far, the people at Telestream have not been at all helpful. They seem to want to blame me or anyone but themselves for being deceitful.

So, is here another program that will allow me to use .wmv files on my iMac and use them in say, FCE without watermarks or truncating them? I'd prefer not to use MS WIndows Media PLayer for Mac as I'm trying to maintain a Microsoft-free zone here.

Any ideas gratefully accepted.

If freedom means anything at all, it is the liberty to tell others what they do not want to hear.
Se a liberdade significa qualquer coisa de todo, a liberdade para dizer a outro o que no quer se ouvir.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Yea VLC works wonders with just about any format that gets chucked at it. WMV files being one of them

You can get it HERE

Enjoy

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Slrman

Thanks, TatMac. I have VLC If I Use it to convert to say, .mpg files, will I still get the overlay? And also, I doubt this will solve my problem with FCE using .wmv files. Maybe if I un-install Flip4Mac? As I save the installers, I feel I won't lose anything but a little time by trying that.

Anyway, good suggestion. I'm going to try making VLC the default for .wmv files. I do like the ease with which QT 7 or 10 does conversions, though.

I also liked the idea of not having to really mess with the .wmv files one at a time, but just being able to use them seamlessly in QT and FCE. For sure, unless I get some reasonable resolution from Telestream, I'll never deal with them again.

If freedom means anything at all, it is the liberty to tell others what they do not want to hear.
Se a liberdade significa qualquer coisa de todo, a liberdade para dizer a outro o que no quer se ouvir.
QUOTE Thanks
Slrman

To quote that famous round-headed nerd, Charlie Brown, "Rats!" No joy with using VLC to convert files. For some reason, my version, 1.0.2, cannot Transcode .wmv files. It always displays an error of one kind or another.

Nor, will any of the other video converters I have like Film Redux, FilmPhile, or PunyVid do any better.

Am I going to be stuck with being held up by the Telestream bandits?

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

VLC is used for just watching various file formats. I don't believe that it does video conversions.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
VLC is used for just watching various file formats. I don't believe that it does video conversions.
Actually, it does do conversions, but it's usually my last choice for converting files...

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Slrman

I finally managed to get Telestream to resolve this issue by sending me a correct product serial number. This is what I asked for with the very first email I sent them. It only took about 6 or 7 emails and a couple of weeks to get them to do the right thing.

Needless to say, I won't be downloading any more of their "upgrades". It seems that they did everything they could to waste their time and mine when the solution was obvious.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quicktime Videos Shrunk? | iMovie:Transitions between photos are black »