New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Issues while exporting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alihassan

alihassan is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

I have a project which runs for about 9 minutes, but when i export it to a .mov file with HDV 1080P30 setting and I have done this twice.. it only exports 7:42 minutes and the last minute or so is cut out. I dont really know what is happening can u help me?

-A
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Exporting from what software? Have you tried a different codec just to see if the result is different? How big is the file that is exported?

P.S. This kind of issue is usually tough to figure out.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
alihassan

I am using Final Cut Pro 7 and the codec is apple pro res 4444 and into hdc 1080p30
QUOTE Thanks
alihassan

After playing around with the exporting here is what I found out...

If I export it into an .mov file using the "current setting" it exports the full movie but if i change the current settings to "hdv 1080p30" or dchdvrp 1080p30 onlt exports 7:12 minutes..

I dont want to use current settings because when i upload it on vimeo or motion box is doesn't recognize it, any ideas??

Current Settings codec: apple pro res 444
here is something which I tried.. remember how i mentioned in the above post when i export using the current settings (apple pro res 444) it give the entire 9 minutes movie.. so I created a new project and imported that 9 minute clip and then tried exporting it to HDV 1080p30.. it only gave me 7:42 again !!
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Honestly, you wouldn't want to use hdv or dchdvrp either; from what I had read about HDV in the past, based upon its bitrates, it seems that even that would be a fairly large file (albeit a lot smaller then ProRes).

Your best bet would probably be to export the video with current settings then use compressor (or use the export to compressor function within fcp7) to create a mp4 or .mov that is h.264 (I don't know the new compressor options, so I don't know what containers/formats are offered, in my version of compressor from FCS2 I could do a h.264 .mov, but I don't have an option for a h.264 .mp4 - well, at least I haven't found it yet in my compressor, but you have a newer version)

JMHO.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
alihassan

Hi Nethfel,

i did what u suggested about the compression and used H.264 and it worked now i can export the entire 9 minute project!!! i wonder why was it cutting out on hdv 1080p30..

-A
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Honestly, I don't know - it really shouldn't have been. The reasons I recommended using a different format includes: You'll find more upload sites support mp4 or .mov format,
if you have to give the video to someone there is probably a 90% chance, unless they have final cut, or have paid for the HDV codec, they won't be able to play the file and of course, the .mp4 or .mov in H.264 is probably a significantly smaller file size (although you may end up needing to tweak the bitrates to make sure compressor doesn't choose too high or too low of a bitrate).

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

The mystery here is the 7:42 export time limit. I'd go to the Apple FCP forums and ask there or some other site with many more pros. Perhaps you'll find that one person out of the bigger population who knows the answer.

Also, this sounds like a bug to me. So file a bug report.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« need a better way to covert files | Says I can't burn Dual Layer DVDs »