Editing broadcast sports
    A year later, I've finally got my DVD recorder hooked up and I'm recording all the football games on my DVR to DVD. The DVDs I'll then rip to my iMac with Handbrake.

Eventually I want to edit out all the commercials and half time shows. I've never done any video editing - any tips, software advice, etc? Thanks!

On the road
    2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
    Just play with the editor you are going to use and you'll be able to easily do what you want. There are many tutorials on line too.
    CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.

Alright, I tried to import in to iMovie and, of course, it doesn't like my format. I tried a bunch of different DVD rippers and couldn't get the aspect ratio correct.

When I recorded the dvd of the first game, I had the output on my Dish receiver set to widescreen. The dvd appears to have recorded it in widescreen. When I used Handbrake to rip it, it ripped in widescreen. But since Handbrake wouldn't give me a format I could import, I had to dig around. I tried about 4 different applications just called "DVD Ripper" and half of them wouldn't let me adjust the resolution, and the other half would, but would still screw up the aspect ratio and add black boxes on either side of the video.

Any tips? Do I need to record the DVD differently?

Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
    Handbrake should give you a format you can import, if you choose the correct one - what did you try?
    My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)

Everything.. mp4, mkv, avi and ogm, whatever that is. Looks like the supported formats in imovie are pretty ridiculously limited.

Waiting for a mate . . .
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
    Everything.. mp4, mkv, avi and ogm, whatever that is. Looks like the supported formats in imovie are pretty ridiculously limited.
    They are all the output settings. Try playing around with the video codec settings as well ....

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Thread Information