New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Low Budget lighting

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dante2004

Dante2004 is on a distinguished road

Baller on a budget I guess you could say.

I'm looking for lighting recommendations, but I have a SMALL budget to work with. ~$100-200

The room is 12'x12' with white walls.

I realize that I won't get studio quality with this budget, but I am looking for tips/advice.

I will be filming basic testimonial videos and interviews.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Bees-in-Art

Bees-in-Art is on a distinguished road

You may find that you can use natural daylight from a window (really low budget). If you sit your subject next to the window this may well work. There's a whole load of possible poses and uses of light. These you'll be able to find on a photography forum or website. It's possible though that with the onset of winter that lighting from a window will just be too dull.

My wife and I were once filmed for the Wellcome Trust. On a tight budget I assume, as the director was also sound man and camera man etc. He interviewed us in our living room with nothing but a window as lighting (we may have had our ordinary room lights on - I can't remember? But nothing else at least). We sat facing the window with the camera on a tripod in front facing us. He obviously had access to a professional editing suite and presumably it's possible to make corrections for poor lighting with one of these. He certainly made the film look as though it had been shot with several cameras.

Andrew
QUOTE Thanks
Bees-in-Art

Bees-in-Art is on a distinguished road

And you'll find quality greatly improved simply with the use of a tripod.

Andrew
QUOTE Thanks
Dante2004

Dante2004 is on a distinguished road

I've got a tripod, so I have that box checked off.

I found some videos on youtube where people were using 1000 watt shop lights. One person even put a translucent shower curtain in front of the light to soften the light. Not too close of course, or it would catch on fire.

Sun light isn't an option as most of this work is going to be done at night.

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
jediracer

jediracer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook

I recommend using garage/shop lights. Get an umbrella or a white foam board to balance the light. done deal
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« need video editing software | Saving a movie in a file format recognizable by iMovie »