New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Kodak Zi8 Settings

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kyle M

Kyle M is on a distinguished road

Did a search and did not find any threads about the Zi8 and people using it with the Mac or iMovie.

Just wanted to start a thread for the users of the Zi8 (and other pockets HD cameras) to talk about the import process and settings they are using. I have yet to do any comparison between the PC software that comes with the camera and an iMovie import, but have seen some PC vids and cant tell if I am loosing image quality by using iMovie. Look forward to the responses
QUOTE Thanks
jwheeler

jwheeler is on a distinguished road

if you can't notice any difference in quality then it doesn't matter. It's like the way people say they can't see the difference between 1080p and 720p. And TBH you can't ... on a small TV. If it's good enough already .. then no worries.

As long as you set the "Import HD video as" preference to "Full - Original Size" then you'll be fine.

I'm looking at the Zi8 for using with iMovie. Before I buy, do you think it's good enough for video fitting instructions. I have been tasked with making video fitting instructions for my company (to go with the written ones i've already made).
QUOTE Thanks
englishchrissy

englishchrissy is on a distinguished road

Hi, I just got a zi8 and connected it to my mac book pro via the built-in usb. I could not get FCE to recognise the camera the normal way by using File/Log and Transfer. Although it could see the zi8 as a mounted disk I got the following warning when trying to access the video folder:

"105EKZi8" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

So, I did it this way:

Both imovie and final cut express 4 can import the video from the zi8. Use File/Import/Files and you should see your zi8 in the list of devices. If you don't, try pressing the on/off button on the zi8 and then it should show up. So please don't bother converting anything with other software first, it's nice a simple and works easily.

I am now wrestling with editing in FCE as I'm a complete newb with this software. The book I bought off ebay has been lost in the post so it looks like a long haul. Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
martin21

martin21 is on a distinguished road

Interesting review and video at Provideocoalition.

ProVideo Coalition.com: TecnoTur by Allan Tépper | Founder

Hopefully Kodak Australia will get it's act together and make them available here soon.
QUOTE Thanks
Tigg

Tigg is on a distinguished road

Hi I am new to Macs and I have a Macbook white running OX 10.4.11 when I go to imovie (08 7.1.4) it doesn't give me the option to import files only import From Camera , HD Project or movies

Any advice, on trying to connect my Kodak zi8 on this system? Or do I have to have a different version of imovie?
QUOTE Thanks
Tigg

Tigg is on a distinguished road

Actually now I have bigger problems, not only did my new camera not work on the Mac it has scrambled the SDHC card so now it won't work on my PC either!

Not a good start for a new MAC convert.
QUOTE Thanks
Wildstylemusic

Wildstylemusic is on a distinguished road

Happy to find this thread! I am a professional video producer and recently got the Zi8 for xmas. I love it! However I am trying to shoot and edit short youtube tutorials and videos and FCP imports the footage fine. However as I make cuts or add transitions I am noticing that it causes the footage right after the cut or effect to freeze while audio continues then it fast forwards the video while audio remains ok until it catches up! I read and found that H264 is hard to edit and realize I may have to convert to pro res or QT before cutting. To import I dragged video from Zi8 folder to a project folder on my HD and imported fine. Using a G5 tower. Anyone have any suggestions?

Wildstyle
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Masta

Mac Masta is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5 inch nvidia 6gb ram, 13 in MacBook pro 320gb 4 gb ram, iPad 16 gb 3G, iPhone 4 Verizon 16g

I also got a zi8 for christmas, and it's definitely a good camera! I copy the .MOV files from the SD card to the desktop, then use the "Import Movie" in iMovie '09. When i upload to the tube (youtube) I just go to share -> export movie -> then export it at 720p. Btw, I use 720p at 60fps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigg View Post
Actually now I have bigger problems, not only did my new camera not work on the Mac it has scrambled the SDHC card so now it won't work on my PC either!

Not a good start for a new MAC convert.
What SDHC card are you using, and which Mac? My MBP reads my 8gb PNY card fine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I can't get videos to play on eMac | Need some help putting a MP3 and movie file together. »