New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

audio playback in final cut

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

remco1985

remco1985 is on a distinguished road

Hi hi,

I am editing a movie in final cut. i use dv files. but when i am playingback the movie i just see video and don't hear any sound....

Can someone help me?
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I take it, that when you say 'playingback the movie', you mean within FC.

Open one of the DV files in QuickTime player and do a Command-I on it to see the audio settings. Does it play back with audio in QuickTime Player? If I recall right, the audio codec should say "DV, Stereo, 48.000 kHz". I don't have a native dv file handy and had to create on to see that.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
remco1985

hi hi,

yes i mean when i playback the movie in FC.
When i opening a dv file in quicktime it plays sound and also shows me the same audio codec.....

But what can help me to play also the sound in FC?

greats
QUOTE Thanks
remco1985

i am just looking around and i saw in my audio preference of the dv files they have 32 bits floating point. could this be the problem?
QUOTE Thanks
remco1985

nobody can help me?
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

when you play the movie in QT, does it show a separate video AND audio file? For Final Cut to use the sound, the video needs to be demuxed (audio separated from the video)
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Here are the details from one of my DV files as downloaded from the camera. I'm using NTSC.
DV, 720 x 480 (640 x 480), Millions
16-bit Integer (Big Endian), Stereo, 48.000 kHz
I think you have to convert your audio portion to be 48kHz.

If when you scrub through your material in FC you can hear audio, but you get a beeping sound when simply playing back, then I'm pretty sure this is the issue. There would be a red bar on the top of the timeline for affected clips when something needs rendering, which can include audio.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
Here are the details from one of my DV files as downloaded from the camera. I'm using NTSC.
DV, 720 x 480 (640 x 480), Millions
16-bit Integer (Big Endian), Stereo, 48.000 kHz
I think you have to convert your audio portion to be 48kHz.

If when you scrub through your material in FC you can hear audio, but you get a beeping sound when simply playing back, then I'm pretty sure this is the issue. There would be a red bar on the top of the timeline for affected clips when something needs rendering, which can include audio.
xstep is right - unless you match your comp to the DV settings of your movie, then it'll have a grey bar on the top of the track, so you can scrub freely. It's best to create a new comp with the movie's settings then trying to fix an existing one after the fact.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« jpg on to avi icon? | How do I burn a movie onto DVD from Mac Mini »