New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Cannot connect Macbook to tv

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

briandhenry2002

briandhenry2002 is on a distinguished road

I have a MacBook 5,2 intel Core 2 Duo and running Mac OS X 10.5.8 with 4 GB of ram. I purchased the apple mini dvi to TV adapter. I have hooked it up to two different TV's and tried both s-video and RCA connections and can't get a dvd to play on the screen (it plays fine on the macbook). I clicked the "detect display" button but nothing happens. The sound through other cables works fine but I can't get a picture of any kind. When I first plug in the dvi adapter, the computer screen goes blank for a moment but that is all. I don't see any options in the display settings that could help except for the "detect display" which doesn't do anything. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Quote:
mini dvi to TV adapter
Do you mean Mini display to DVI cable? Or do you mean a DVI-to-HDMI adapter? A TV adapter can be VGA, HDMI or possibly even DVI, so we need a little more information here.

Mini-display won't work on S video since Macbooks don't carry composite audio/video signals. So going by what you're telling us, if you're looking for S video, you probably have the input on your TV set to the wrong option. Find the menu on your TV that allows you to switch inputs and try all the ones listed.

Quote:
When I first plug in the dvi adapter, the computer screen goes blank for a moment but that is all.
Plugging it into what? If you're plugging into a DVI port on your TV, that may not work. Or are you saying you're plugging the DVI adapter into your Macbook? Only slightly older models of Macbooks have a DVI port. In 2008 they started using Mini-display ports. And if your computer screen is going blank momentarily, that means the signal is being sent out... the issue is probably somewhere else down the line.

Anyway, let us know exactly what kind of cable you're using, specifically what kind of adapter you're using, which port on your TV you're plugging it into, and what input your TV is set to.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Oneironaut: He is using the mini-DVI to Video adapter.

While I have not used composite video since S-video arrived and not used S-video since component came out, I don't believe you are going to have any luck with a newer Mac. By most all the reports I've seen it does not.

Even on Apple's page for the device the most current iMac listed that it will work with is the Intel Core Duo, not the Core2Duo. It specifically states it is not compatible with the 2009 MacBook.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
briandhenry2002

briandhenry2002 is on a distinguished road

Even on Apple's page for the device the most current iMac listed that it will work with is the Intel Core Duo, not the Core2Duo. It specifically states it is not compatible with the 2009 MacBook.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly my problem. I bought it from Amazon not Apple and my mac is only a few months old so this explains everything. I just switched to Mac after many years of PC's so I need to pay more attention and do better research before I buy any more accessories.

Thank You.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Advice on Fotomagico | fce or imovie? for editing to the beat! »