Western Australia
    Macbook / Mac OSX / 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    Unhappy VOB converting/time problems..
    Hi, I'm a newbie at this forum and this topic, so please excuse if this should be an obvious fix... I have googled for hours and hours, and everytime i get a little further in my quest a larger problem arises..

My aim: To put a segment of a TV program to iMovie to do some slight editing, then upload to youtube / facebook (the content is of myself so I'm not stealing publishing or breaching etc)

I recorded TV on the weekend, to my HDD player (Model Sony RDR-HXD 890) , and did some quick deleting of the adverts etc before having a compilation of the show in one file.
    The outputs my player offers are RCA / AV cables and an S Video out, as well as a DVD burner. I tried several cords i have around my house to try to get my macbook to recognise it as a 'video camera' in imovie, or anything at all.. ... no success. I searched for drivers, different types of cords i could possibly use etc etc.

First problem: If I purchased a RCA to Firewire cable, would this help? Or do I need a specific 'converter' such as a 'VIDEO CAPTURE' device?
    Most of the sites that have similar devices are for analog to DV, and i would assume the HDD player is already digital?

My second attempt at this was to burn it to DVD, and extract and convert the files for use in iMovie. I downloaded Mac The Ripper, and iSkysoft iMedia converter in an attempt to convert the file from VOB to either AVI or MP4 etc

Second Problem: When converted to AVI there is no audio at all??

Third Problem: The length of the video file SHOULD be over 9 mins... upon playing the video in VLC the whole segment plays no problem, but the total time says 1:22, and the timeline starts from 0:00 in random places.
    This has created the problem that when I convert the VOB file to anything else, it cuts off / only converts 1:22 instead of the whole 9 mins plus.

HELP!!! I'm almost ready to throw my computer out the window!!

Western Australia
    Macbook / Mac OSX / 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    I got it sorted! Its all good now!
    I found that somehow upon burning the DVD had corrupted - resulting in the time change.
    I re-burnt on the highest slowest quality, and tried it all again.
    Only negative is that the audio has a slight 'clicking' noise every few seconds upon converting it to mp4.
    If anyone is interested in watching what it was:
    YouTube - FLYTE on CHANNEL 7's TELETHON 2009
    Enjoy Life... No One Makes It Out Alive Anyway..

On the road
    2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
    Another tool to try converting the VOB file is MPEG StreamClip. I personally avoid AVI files when I have the choice.

I listened to the YT video and I didn't here the clicking you mentioned.

It looks like that video should have been widescreen.

I like your tag line. It made me LOL.
    CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.

Thread Information