New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Reducing the length of some footage and uploading to You Tube

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

donmaico

donmaico is on a distinguished road

hi a i am a newbie here and was wondering if some one could advise me how i can dramatically reduce the length of a movie i made whilst still hanging on to the unneeded clips? The footage is an hour long and despite the fact i shortened it to 5 mins by putting all the clips i didnt want back on the pane, I cant upload it to youtube which constantly rejects it for being too long.It claims its over an hour long when it isnt????Thats after I compressed in to Quicktime using various formats/codecs.,Even the basic one gets turned away
Someone suggested i drag the Quicktime footage back inot another iMovie project and start again but I movie rejected that,Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

What version of iMovie?

It sounds like you have exported the movie as a QuickTime file. Open it in QuickTime and do a Command-I (show info) on the file. How long does it say it is? How large is the file?

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
donmaico

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
What version of iMovie?

It sounds like you have exported the movie as a QuickTime file. Open it in QuickTime and do a Command-I (show info) on the file. How long does it say it is? How large is the file?
yes the shortened version is a QT dv file and far too big and long :
27.91 gbs, 1 hr 10 mins long and i am using iMovie 5
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmaico View Post
yes the shortened version is a QT dv file and far too big and long :
27.91 gbs, 1 hr 10 mins long and i am using iMovie 5
A 28GB file is 26GB larger than YouTube allows you to upload. When you do a Command-I in QuickTime player, what codec is used for the movie? You originally said the project was 5 minutes, a lot less than an 1hr & 10mins. What's up with that?

See my iMovie export guide regarding how to export to other more efficient codec such as H.264.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I'm not sure I'm understanding how you shortened your movie. Did you drag a five minute selection from the complete footage in the bottom Events pane into the Project pane on top? It sounds like you've exported the entire movie instead of just the five minute portion.
QUOTE Thanks
donmaico

Quote:
A 28GB file is 26GB larger than YouTube allows you to upload. When you do a Command-I in QuickTime player, what codec is used for the movie? You originally said the project was 5 minutes, a lot less than an 1hr & 10mins. What's up with that?

See my iMovie export guide regarding how to export to other more efficient codec such as H.264.
I used this recommendation but it didnt work ie iMovie wouldnt accept the QT file

"If you want to keep just the clips that are actually in the movie, 'share' your shortened iMovie as Quick Time 'Full Quality' and save it to a convenient place such as the desktop.
Once that has been created, open a new iMovie and drag that new quicktime movie clip into it. Your movie will be one long clip."

I then tried out several codecs including this recommendation:
iMovie Settings for Upload to YouTube: iMovie Tutorial
and also compressed for web streaming which dramatically reduced the size of the file
In every case the file was rejected for being too long despite the fact i left just two clips totaling 5 minutes on the clips viewer (the rest having been returned to the clips pane),Its noticeable that the playhead continues playing way beyond the two clips as if the removed ones were still there
QUOTE Thanks
donmaico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
I'm not sure I'm understanding how you shortened your movie. Did you drag a five minute selection from the complete footage in the bottom Events pane into the Project pane on top? It sounds like you've exported the entire movie instead of just the five minute portion.
Basically my original movie was about 1 hour an ten minutes long including several photos etc.What i susequently did and in order to get it accepted by you Tube, was remove the vast majority of the clips and move them back to to the pane leaving just two behind which totalled 5 minutes running time.What seems to be happening,though, is that because i saved the original film the movie runs as if those clips were still there and therefore when i "share" it , it carries the same time lapse with it, ie 1 hr and 10 mins
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

It sounds that the current project is somehow corrupted. Rather than mess with it further, I would try creating a new project and importing those clips of interest. They are already in your current project which is a container folder.

YouTube is limited to 10 minute segments and the total file size can't be bigger than 2GB.

QUOTE Thanks
donmaico

Quote:
It sounds that the current project is somehow corrupted. Rather than mess with it further, I would try creating a new project and importing those clips of interest. They are already in your current project which is a container folder.

YouTube is limited to 10 minute segments and the total file size can't be bigger than 2GB.
not sure how i could do that .i opened a new project then clicked import , then clicked on the original movie and got a message saying it couldnt import, Quicktime couldnt parse it -1409.I then tried to open both movies so i could drag the clips I wanted but with no success
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« making Network commercial with IMovie8 | compressing a video file »