New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

trying to edit this short clip in imovie08

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Max123

Max123 is on a distinguished road

So I tried now different programs that don't work in the end...I have tried streamclip, handbreak, avi to imovie converter and some others but I can't figure this one out!
I am trying to edit this short clip in imovie08 and it's an avi file...so it says....
but I can't obviously open it in imovie so I tried everything until I got to AVI to imovie converter which worked ...I mean it converted the avi file so that quicktime could open it and I also imported it into imovie but the problem is it's got a huge watermark because it's a trial version.....so, can I download it somewhere else maybe so that I get the full version? you guys know anything about this software?...or maybe the other conversion software would work if I got some codecs?! can you maybe help me with that?...the short avi file can only be viewed with VLC player....without converting it to mov or something else....
thanks for the help!
really appreciate it
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

If you can play if fine in VLC, why not just try VLCs stream/export wizard. It's in the File dropdown - when you select it, a new window pops up that allows you to either stream the video, or use VLCs conversion to save it to a different format, then save it to quicktime or mp4 or something.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Max123

Thanks for the tip !!
I've done that but I have no sound....the video is perfect but unfortunately no sound, and I selected mpeg4 audio...si should I select something else?
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

I don't see where you selected mpeg4 audio - just for testing, I opened one of my AVIs , transcoding wizard, transcode video selected mpeg-4 video.

By default Transcode Audio wasn't selected, I selected that, and the first option it shows is just mpeg audio, but I don't see specifically mpeg4 audio. you might want to try Vorbis or Flac on the audio dropdown if the default mpeg option didn't work. Make sure transcode audio is selected otherwise you'll get no audio

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
Max123

thanks for the help...I managed to make it work .Now I have audio and video working together...but I want to edit the video in imovie08 and imovie doesn;t want to import it. It's weird, I mean it says it's an asf file I don;t even know what that is....anyway I'll play with this transcode thing and see what happens...because vlc plays it with image and sound but imovie won't import it...
QUOTE Thanks
Max123

ok so there is a mpeg4 video and mpeg 4 audio that i can select as transcode...but it still won't work in imovie, and other conversion programs managed to make it an imovie compatible format...ie: mpeg4 but some parts are missing...some video footage like 2 or 3 frames are missing...that's why i wanted to try vlc...and it worked image is there...and audio also but imovie won't play along!....hrrrr
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HD DVD Burners | making Network commercial with IMovie8 »