Can you please do a test on your mac?
    Hi,

I am feeling that there is something wrong with youtube on mac ...
    Can you please open the activity monitor and safari on this video using the HD version (very important): YouTube - Tinker Bell Music Video - Viva Forever - (HD 720p) (tinker bell triler, this is just for a test, the movie is just to have all the same), and put the result of what you see in your activity monitor for both Safari and the Flash plugin?
    Thank you, it wil help me to know if this is really flash on mac which s...ks.

Thank you.

Specs:
    Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
    I see the use of 16% of a single core usage for safari, and between 61-65% of a single core used for flash (viewed on a Mac Pro 8 core 2008, numbers from activity monitor and watching core usage across my cores via iStats)
    My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m, 16Gig ram; 2013 Mac Pro 6 core w/ D700, 16Gig Ram; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Linux; Apple TV (1080p version)

Specs:
    2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
    Flash on Mac is 'known' to suck.
    CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Pro tip:
    Install clicktoflash - it gives you a H.264 option for youtube videos (the ones Youtube has for the iPhone & AppleTV). H.264 videos will tax your CPU quite a bit less, as your graphics card can help.

ClickToFlash

Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
    Pro tip:
    Install clicktoflash - it gives you a H.264 option for youtube videos (the ones Youtube has for the iPhone & AppleTV). H.264 videos will tax your CPU quite a bit less, as your graphics card can help.

ClickToFlash
    I just tried it, and it really helps. Thank you.
    I am now able to read youtube HD videos without issues ...
    Don't you have another tips for Netflix streaming?

Specs:
    iMac 24" 4Gb RAM, 1Tb Time Capsule. iPhone 3GS, Macbook
    When I try and watch Mac tutorials they are usually disrupted by buffering; is that likely to be a Flash problem, the volume of users accessing the servers or just my 2Gbps broadband connection? Would ClicktoFlash help?

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Quote Originally Posted by strus_fr View Post
    Don't you have another tips for Netflix streaming?
    Get Netflix to come up with something other than Microsoft's Silverlight for playback on a Mac or use a Win machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycoming View Post
    When I try and watch Mac tutorials they are usually disrupted by buffering; is that likely to be a Flash problem, the volume of users accessing the servers or just my 2Gbps broadband connection? Would ClicktoFlash help?
    Buffering issue would have nothing to do with the player playing the file.
    That would be the server, your ISP or both.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    iMac 24" 4Gb RAM, 1Tb Time Capsule. iPhone 3GS, Macbook
    Thanks Bob, thought so, unfortunately we don't have a very good connection at this end of the world.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    You could check the bandwidth you're receiving vs what you're suppose to be receiving. I had to battle with the cable company supplying my service for almost 18 months before they finally had a line tech come out that actually knew what he was doing and my bandwidth quadrupled up to what I'd been paying for when he was done.

(Before you ask, why did I keep it for that 18 months, it was still 50% faster than the DSL I'd given up.)

The other thing to do that will work with some video sites, pause the playback while it continues to download, do something else while you're waiting, then go back to watch after it's downloaded. Won't work with all sites.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
    Pro tip:

ClickToFlash
    That's fantastic. I'm getting tired of watching YouTube videos and Flash consuming more than it needs to. Thanks!
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Thread Information