New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Having trouble getting MPEG2 (from Sony HDD cam) to play on Mac Book

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

johnjslattery

johnjslattery is on a distinguished road

So I downloaded from the Sony to a PC onto a flash drive. From flash drive onto my MacBook. QT wouldn't recognize the vids. I've downloaded MPEG Streamclip but that won't play the MPEG vids either. Am I needing the QT MPEG playback component here???

I am running OS X 10.5.8.

What do people like to use for editing their short vids, and what's the easiest way to start uploading onto YouTube?

Thanks,
John
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

HDD camera files are a ***** to deal with. I just started having to work with them but luckily I have Final Cut Studio's Compressor app that will pretty much convert any file to any other type of file so it hasn't been too bad, just gives me an extra step.

If you don't have FCS, there is a plugin for Quicktime Player for viewing and exporting mpeg files, but it costs 20 bucks.
QUOTE Thanks
johnjslattery

Is that QT plug-in your talking about the "playback component?"
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

john, when you say PC, do you mean a non-Mac machine?

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
johnjslattery

yes, that's correct.

john
QUOTE Thanks
joeyboots

joeyboots is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 13" 2.13GHz - Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB DDR2 Memory - 160GB HD - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Yeah, the mpeg2 files on my SONY HDD camera will only play back in VLC.

However, the files will import into iMovie 09 just fine directly from the camera.

Short answer, yes, you'll need the MPEG2 component with Quicktime Pro to edit these clips in Quicktime, BUT, you do not need either if you simply import the clips directly into iMovie 09 by connecting the Camera to your Macbook.

Here's a little something strange that I've noticed with my Sony camera. Mine's a High Definition camera that also shoots in standard definition.

-For HD it uses AVCHD in various 1080i resolutions depending on the quality settings. These files are completely unplayable on my Macbook when copied to my hard drive, but they work perfectly when imported through iMovie.

-For SD it uses MPEG2 at 720x480. These files are playable on my Macbook with VLC (free) and in Quicktime if I had the MPEG2 playback component (money). These files also work perfectly when imported through iMovie.

-Here's the tricky bit, if the camera has any SD footage on it at all, that is all that iMovie will see when you go to do an import. So if you have HD footage that you think just doesn't work with iMovie 09, just back up all of your SD stuff and remove it from the camera and then the HD stuff will show up in the import browser.

Oh, and iMovie 09 has a direct to youtube uploader.

I'm not a Mac. I'm not a PC. I'm a person.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Here's the link to the QT mpeg plugin.

Apple - QuickTime - MPEG-2 Playback
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjslattery View Post
So I downloaded from the Sony to a PC onto a flash drive. From flash drive onto my MacBook.
Was this a drag & drop action or a import via some editing software?

If a drag & drop, did you copy every single file from the root of the camera? Does the flash drive have other content on it? If not all files were copied, you may have corrupted the structure. If the flash drive has other content on it, perhaps it is confusing the Apple software.

If via an editor, what is the container file type, AVI, etc, and what are the video and audio codecs within the files?

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New machine suggestions? | Streaming Football »