New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

How do I play and burn these .nrg video files on mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

skullion

I downloaded a movie with 3 files in .rar form. I dropped them in UNRARX and each file came out differently. The first file came out as .nrg which cannot be played, the second came out as .mpg, the third an .mpeg.The mpg and the mpeg can be converted to .mov and burned to DVD in toast. I cant do anything with the .nrg file. I tried to use vcdgearX but I cant get that program to work at all.I burned it to a data cd but I cant extract the mpeg or play it anyway. How do I get the mpeg out of the nrg so I can convert it to a .mov.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

why do you want to make it a .mov? mpg's can be burned in toast in the video tab, do you have quicktime pro?
QUOTE Thanks
skullion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
why do you want to make it a .mov? mpg's can be burned in toast in the video tab, do you have quicktime pro?
I understand but the problem is I cant do anything with the first file. The .nrg file is a mystery to me.No program on my computer will do anything with it.I need to somehow get the .nrg file to mpeg form so I can burn a dvd in toast. Please list steps to convert the .nrg file.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

I've never heard of that filetype, I doubt its the correct extension or a real video file, as a matter of fact, if I remember correctly, thats a file format used as part of a dvd menu in certain menus, do either of the other mpg's have menus?
QUOTE Thanks
skullion

Quote:
I've never heard of that filetype, I doubt its the correct extension or a real video file, as a matter of fact, if I remember correctly, thats a file format used as part of a dvd menu in certain menus, do either of the other mpg's have menus?
OK so this is probably a mixture of mpeg and menu information which I now have burned to a cd with the files broken up. Im new at this so I dont know how to import the info back onto the computer.When I try to drag the mpeg type file (or anything on the disc) it wont copy it correctly.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

you should be able to insert the disc, and double click it on the desktop and drag the contents to the hd. How is it not copying right? if its not working, use disk utility to create a disc image which will put the data in a mountable disk image on your mac, mount it and copy it from that.
QUOTE Thanks
skullion

[QUOTE=Macman]you should be able to insert the disc, and double click it on the desktop and drag the contents to the hd. How is it not copying right? if its not working, use disk utility to create a disc image which will put the data in a mountable disk image on your mac, mount it and copy it from that.[/QUOTE
It says error code -36 and it cant be read or written when I try to copy the mpg. Dam it almost worked.All the svcd data and every thing else worked.Just no mpg.Also it says input /output error when I click on the .mpg file on the disc itself but one of the other mpg files(part 2 of this movie) had a similar problem until I converted it to .mov with ffmpeg.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

hmm, try copying it to an external device instead of your internal hd. this may also be a problem with the disc, or drive, make sure everything is clean and the disc isn't scratched up.
QUOTE Thanks
skullion

Quote:
hmm, try copying it to an external device instead of your internal hd. this may also be a problem with the disc, or drive, make sure everything is clean and the disc isn't scratched up.
Thanks for the info. Im gonna download this again to see if the file got messed up somehow. I had the .rar files for a while and was constantly messing with it before I knew what to do with them and although they seemed to be in order with nothing missing I may have screwed them up somehow.Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
Dark Matter

Dark Matter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0 Ghz, 2 gigs RAM, 160 gig H.D.

I think a .nrg file is a Nero video file type. I wonder if you'd have to convert it on a PC ( since no Nero for Mac) to make it into a file type usable on your Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
MadSkillzMan

MadSkillzMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual G5 powermac

guys, you cant convert it.

.nrg is the file extension for NERO BURNING ROM ...winblows strikes again!

IIRC, it cant be converted, only burned? im not too sure.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iDVD avi-->dvd | mp3's on dvd »