New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Cannon HF 100 and FCP7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MikeFightNight

MikeFightNight is on a distinguished road

I am trying to figure out how to get video's from my Cannon HF 100 onto my Mac Pro. I hook it up through USB and my Mac only sees it as a harddrive with no name.

I have been doing some reading and I have read it has something to do with Pixela ImageMixer 3, software that comes with the camera. Apparently it doesn't come with the Mac version of the software and if I want it I have to fork out $100 on there website for it. Screw that.

However I have red other posts where people seem to have no problem importing Cannon HF 100 video's on there Mac. It's records in AVCHD and I reliaze that FCP can not edit 1920x1080 video but then I read that you can use PROres to convert it and it works great...i'm lost.

I would firstly just like to know how to get the video on my Mac.

This is my first Mac and I am just learning to use FCP and all the other programs that come with it. Can a kind user give me a hand?
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

FCP can edit 1920x1080, not sure where you got that it couldn't - I'd be really curious where you read that. ProRes 422 will happily allow you to do 1920x1080 (I can't comment on 444 as I don't have 7, I have 6)

To get the footage into your system, you will use Log and Transfer. You should be able to do it with the camera connected via usb, or by ejecting the SD card and plugging it into an SD reader.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
MikeFightNight

editing canon hf100 footage on mac - AVS Forum
Read what Billiam29 says. But I guess these posts are from 2006, so maybe it was older stuff?

Thank for the reply Nethfel, I have to go to work right now so i'll try this later. Also I have no idea where the SD reader on my MAC Pro is, I just got it the other day so bear with me.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light

I see you're problem - you're confusing the use of AIC with the use of ProRES - both are intermediate codecs, but ProRES will do full 1920x1080 - with Final Cut Pro you really should be using ProRES for your codecs for HD on FCP unless space is a serious concern (with prices of hard drives these days, you should be able to get a terabyte to use as scratch and not have many storage concerns)

Final Cut Express and iMovie use AIC for their HD transcodes. With FCP you have the option of AIC or ProRES, choose ProRes.

To learn more about workflows and different codecs, check out:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/..._Workflows.pdf

go down to chapter 10 which discusses ProRES and AIC

Also, if you have a Mac Pro (and not a macbook pro) then AFAIK there is no SD reader - myself, I use an external high speed SD reader plugged into my mac pro.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
MikeFightNight

Hey Log and Transfer worked, thanks a lot for the information Nethfel, I really do appreciate it. I will give that pdf a read for sure. Also yes I have a Mac Pro, and space should not be a problem, I have 3 terabyte drives and one spare 640 gb drive. I think might look into an external SD reader as well, what makes do you recommend?
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Glad to hear it went well for ya! Yeah, I love using FCP with my HF100; took a little bit to get used to having come from doing only standard def work and using Premiere and Liquid Edition on windows, but I really like it now.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imovie 09 won't export to 'HD' | Watching Cable On My Imac »